NSL and HAL records now combined.

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

NSL and HAL records now combined.

Postby Stuckey Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Long over due, should have been done from day one. But nice to see it finally happen.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa- ... m21lp.html
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: NSL and HAL records now combined.

Postby blahblah Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Good to see.
the 2nd james
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby the 2nd james Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am

this actually makes little sense as they were separate competitions
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 am

Yes and no. It's comparable to combining English First Division and Premier League records.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:49 am

Yes and no. It's comparable to combining English First Division and Premier League records.
I think it's more important here though. There isn't a great divide of fans from the First division unwilling to support the EPL.
Time to Djbate!
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:14 am

just read up on wiki because i wasn't familiar with how the premier league started and it is pretty much the exact opposite to what you said. Same composition of teams, same number of teams, breaking away to take advantage of the improved commercial returns television revenue was starting to generate, effectively the same competition with a new name and more money. Compare that to the nsl/a-league, different teams, new league and a different number of teams, after a competition shut down with break with no continuation at all.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

within a decade or 2, the nsl teams wont hold any records for most titles etc. it is something I think needed to happen, pay respect to the past and keep it on record.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:41 am

within a decade or 2, the nsl teams wont hold any records for most titles etc. it is something I think needed to happen, pay respect to the past and keep it on record.
Given that the A-League has already run for 11 years and the NSL went for 28, you are correct. People are starting to realise that the A-League isn't the "new" competition any more; simply the competition. That said I'd still love to see a couple of the old NSL teams back as part of the A-League expansion.
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:17 pm

at the end of the day you have a continuing competition or you don't there's not much more to it than that.

any nsl teams for expansion would be a disaster commercially, even those that suggest the brisbane strikers who apparently had geographical over ethnic appeal the majority of that support would have been swallowed up by brisbane roar.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:29 pm

at the end of the day you have a continuing competition or you don't there's not much more to it than that.

any nsl teams for expansion would be a disaster commercially, even those that suggest the brisbane strikers who apparently had geographical over ethnic appeal the majority of that support would have been swallowed up by brisbane roar.
I believe there are a couple of Melbourne and Sydney clubs in a financial position to make a bid for the HAL. SMFC is an obvious one. Considering Fox covers player wages I don't think it would be a huge ask.
Honestly if you gave their current squad the ability to train full time. I firmly believe that with just a few decent signings they would be competitive at HAL level.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Some nsl clubs could run much cheaper then the standard aleague club as many own their own stadiums.

There is probably no reason clubs with average crowds of 6-8k cant thrive in the league if they have their own boutique stadium and keep costs relatively low particularly with more money coming from the foxtel deal.

Surely the top tier npl clubs would be more viable then ccm and offer more to aus football then the nix
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Some nsl clubs could run much cheaper then the standard aleague club as many own their own stadiums.

There is probably no reason clubs with average crowds of 6-8k cant thrive in the league if they have their own boutique stadium and keep costs relatively low particularly with more money coming from the foxtel deal.

Surely the top tier npl clubs would be more viable then ccm and offer more to aus football then the nix
Totally agree. I realise they are once offs but 2nd highest crowds for the 2014 and 2015 FFA Cup were Sydney United hosting Sydney FC and the Heidelberg hosting Melb City. There is interest there from NPL clubs and their fans. Just look at the huge up swing in crowds that went to see Sotirios Kyrgiakos play for Sydney Olympic when he was there briefly.
Honestly Melbourne and Sydney could easily have a new HAL club each next season.
Time to Djbate!
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:07 pm

I believe there are a couple of Melbourne and Sydney clubs in a financial position to make a bid for the HAL. SMFC is an obvious one. Considering Fox covers player wages I don't think it would be a huge ask.
Honestly if you gave their current squad the ability to train full time. I firmly believe that with just a few decent signings they would be competitive at HAL level.
who is smfc? i'm looking on wiki it is a greek team? if you take the TV revenue and add a team that doesn't have subscriber appeal it means the existing money is divided by an extra team which results in the existing teams subsiding the new team and the players salary cap dropping overall. as the salary cap is paid very unevenly it means a lesser quality of top end player in the league, which is very damaging as these are the players crowds and viewers want to see. this is why the ffa paying the players their fair share of the revenue rather than keeping 40% is so important.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:15 pm

South Melbourne. I'd imagine an increase in clubs would mean an increase in money from fox as they would have more games to show and more earning potential from the league. The other clubs wouldn't accept another club in the league if it meant losing 10% of their income.
Time to Djbate!
the 2nd james

Postby the 2nd james Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:16 pm

it's not the running costs that matters for a team it is the amount of subscribers a team can bring in. but in any case most clubs don't own their own facilities they are owned by council or state government and allowed to be used by community clubs for community purposes. the nix would be an asset for the league if there was foxtel in NZ whatever broadcaster there is over there isn't football friendly so they're ripping the FFA off hence the plan to dump them, if there was a genuine return on subscribers the nix generate there would be the nix plus a few more NZ teams to capitalise on their population.

Return to “A-Leagues”