RIP Newcastle Jets.

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

RIP Newcastle Jets.

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed May 20, 2015 4:09 pm

As of about 15 minutes ago, the licence of the Newcastle Jets has been terminated, effective immediately.

They will be replaced with a 'new, FFA-owned' Newcastle club, and current Newcastle-contracted players will be offered contracts with this new club.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa- ... icp1nuir74
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Re: RIP Newcastle Jets.

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed May 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Am I missing something, I don't see how this, as of yet, is the death of the Jets?

Could get Boogaard to return tho
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Am I missing something, I don't see how this, as of yet, is the death of the Jets?

Could get Boogaard to return tho
A new licence will be issued to a new entity owned and controlled by FFA. A club from Newcastle will remain a member of the Hyundai A-League and current players of the Newcastle Jets will be offered contracts with the new entity.
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa- ... tIbFSMc.99

Yeah I missed that as well.

I wonder if the FFA had any plans in place?

I'd like to see them go back to the gold jerseys

I just hope they don't give them a cheap 21st century marketing name like Roar or Fury etc.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed May 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Could they not be called the Jets? Surely they could keep all the trademarks (name, badge, kit etc) if they so wanted. Unless someone was not letting them do that because they held those trademarks, it doesn't just go to a grey area.

If they continue to have a club in Newscastle, I hope they pull all the stops like the Wanderers, consult the fans there to make sure they recreate a club they want.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed May 20, 2015 5:03 pm

FFA own the trademarks. Tinkler just licensed it. That's the strength of the franchise system that the club at least superficially will always live on even if the owners run into trouble.

Hopefully whoever takes the club over listens to the community there.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Could they not be called the Jets? Surely they could keep all the trademarks (name, badge, kit etc) if they so wanted. Unless someone was not letting them do that because they held those trademarks, it doesn't just go to a grey area.

If they continue to have a club in Newscastle, I hope they pull all the stops like the Wanderers, consult the fans there to make sure they recreate a club they want.
I'm not sure,FFA may have just cancelled Newcastle's licence but HSG still own the company name etc.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed May 20, 2015 6:47 pm

probably so they don't have to pay any debts left behind they need to start a "new" club with "no" connection to the defunct jets?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed May 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Its just Newcastle united Jets V3

same as AUFC V3
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Newcastle Jetstars anyone?

Terrible season for the players at the club, not a very stable working environment. The get good member numbers up there I think, feel bad for them too.
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Newcastle Jetstars anyone?

Terrible season for the players at the club, not a very stable working environment. The get good member numbers up there I think, feel bad for them too.
When Tinkler first arrived, it seemed that finally they might get some stability. Shame he is such a twat with a hole in his wallet.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 am

We have seen how sage , palmer and tinkler run their football clubs..... Imagine how they run their mining operations
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 am

The assumption that because they were successful in business they are able to run a football club is insane. Sports administration is a beast in of itself. Just hand over the money, appoint someone to run the club and go sit in your box. I think while our owners have been able to steady the ship, its been a steep learning curve for them.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu May 21, 2015 5:11 pm

The assumption that because they were successful in business they are able to run a football club is insane. Sports administration is a beast in of itself. Just hand over the money, appoint someone to run the club and go sit in your box. I think while our owners have been able to steady the ship, its been a steep learning curve for them.
That's easier said then done though. Hand over $5-10m a season and let someone else spend it.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 pm

My point was that mining magnates often earn the reputation of being cowboys who are reactive and possibly just got lucky. It would seem that based in the 3 who have been involved with the league have proven the stereotype to be true.

AUFC is definetly the warren buffet of the league im happy to say
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu May 21, 2015 5:54 pm

My point was that mining magnates often earn the reputation of being cowboys who are reactive and possibly just got lucky. It would seem that based in the 3 who have been involved with the league have proven the stereotype to be true.

AUFC is definetly the warren buffet of the league im happy to say
Haha I'd probably give MV the Warren Buffet tag. AU are the mum and pop investors that can't risk too much and can easily get screwed over by the powers that be.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”