Football in Australian media

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Football in Australian media

Postby bpowell454 Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Was going to post this in the HAL finals thread but thought it could use its own post seeing as this is an ongoing issue.

How rediculous is this. Lots of people commenting saying that the only abuse they received were from AFL crowds at various train stations.

Will the Australian media ever give up the witch hunt and provide some real facts about crowd violence in regards to other codes? Football fans get labelled terrorists by the Australian media and other codes can get away with nearly anything without a mention.

More AFL players alone have been charged with various assaults than all A-league fans at matches in the entire history of the A-League (Fearofaroundball.com). -- That only counts the afl player assualt charges in the last 10 years, since the inception of the A-league.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Football in Australian media

Postby Stuckey Mon May 18, 2015 5:50 pm

I think the FFA needs to stand up for its fans to throw some legal action these channels way. I feel a deformation case will make these people think twice.
Time to Djbate!
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Mon May 18, 2015 7:27 pm

I think the FFA needs to stand up for its fans to throw some legal action these channels way. I feel a deformation case will make these people think twice.
You need to change what you're drinking mate, you're making as much sense as FN :shock:
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Haha sorry, I just gets my goat up so much that this perception of football fans is pushed so heavily by the media.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm

This. For me this seems like a classic deformation case. FFA, the governing body of a sport has the right to defend the image and reputation of the sport it is trying to promote.

If the media are picking through trash, looking for a bare minimal incident between a few ppl regardless of its relation to the sport and trying to spin it to serve they're own agenda (channel 7 and the AFL hindering any growth to the a-league). For me the FFA have the right to take them to court over that. Channel 7 have a vested interest in squashing our sport, and its worth over a billion dollars.

This isn't no tin foil hat conspiracy, its a classic case of the powers that be trying to stay in control. If you can't see that, the you are naive to how the world works. Follow the money and you'll see their motivations.
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Tue May 19, 2015 3:42 pm

As no individuals have been named and portrayed as hooligans or criminals there is no defamation case that could be brought.

You don't seriously think that with all their legal eagles Ch7 would be so stupid as to leave themselves open to any legal action.

If misreporting or only reporting half the story etc to further an agenda was a crime, Murdoch would have been banged up decades ago!
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 19, 2015 4:52 pm

I had family around during the grandfinal.

" look at the names, barely an aussie name on the park"

"That was a dive! " this happened 3 times, Fatys injury where he was subbed and when 2 sydney players were patched up from big cuts.

Sadly the media do not need to try hard to troll football as its already intrenched in the minds of people who believe what they see on a current affair.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue May 19, 2015 6:20 pm

Sadly the media do not need to try hard to troll football as its already intrenched in the minds of people who believe what they see on a current affair.
No thats right, all they do is keep the narrative going.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat May 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Let's face it, it's still a "foreign game played by foreigners".

:lol:

As much as things change, somethings stay the same.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat May 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Let's face it, it's still a "foreign game played by foreigners".

:lol:

As much as things change, somethings stay the same.
Yeah we get so wrapped up in the league and see fantastic crowds and iur friends probably have very similar interests as us. but we forget we are still living in our own little micro climate.

IMO there still many barriers Aussie society needs to break through before the game is truly ready to become mainstream imo
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Sun May 24, 2015 1:28 pm

We already are mainstream, its started.

We surpassed the ARL And NRL for sponsorship dollars this year, and expected to grow by 20% again this year coming.

rugby achieved something like 27 million, Aleague was 30 million, AFL was 58 million.

At an increase of 20% per year, it wont take long to overtake them.

As for the defamation case... the FFA will never do that because as much bullshit as they spin... they put our teams in their papers every week and they show our highlights every week. And we want to entice Channel 7 into a bidding war with Fox next year...
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Mon May 25, 2015 12:36 pm

"That was a dive! " this happened 3 times, Fatys injury where he was subbed and when 2 sydney players were patched up from big cuts.

this! happens when I have mates and family that are not football orientated watch with me, yet they love watching bontempelli, riccuito, fevola, jong, houli etc in the AFL and never flinch at the names. reminds me in 06 world cup when Amanada Blair wrote an article supporting the "Woggyroos" and she only referred to them like that. since when does a name dictate what you identify as.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon May 25, 2015 12:58 pm

this! happens when I have mates and family that are not football orientated watch with me, yet they love watching bontempelli, riccuito, fevola, jong, houli etc in the AFL and never flinch at the names. reminds me in 06 world cup when Amanada Blair wrote an article supporting the "Woggyroos" and she only referred to them like that. since when does a name dictate what you identify as.
Haha yes the old have your AFL mates round and get them to watch socka!

I had my uncle round a while back and we were watching AU. Joe Keenan went down injured and my uncle pipes up "Geez these bloody socka poofs going down like flys"
Yeah his leg's broken uncle..... 8)
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Mon May 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Haha yes the old have your AFL mates round and get them to watch socka!

I had my uncle round a while back and we were watching AU. Joe Keenan went down injured and my uncle pipes up "Geez these bloody socka poofs going down like flys"
Yeah his leg's broken uncle..... 8)
Ahahha. My ex was like that, she didn't put it so eloquently as your uncle, but she said something along the lines of "I swear everytime I look up someone is on the ground, these guys are better actors then players!"

I say to her "babe, he just got an elbow to face and is now bleeding.......but nah, you're right, he just had the brilliant idea of hiding fake blood for this very occaision to fool the ref....bravo good sir, a standing ovation is in order"

Safe to say, I'm not with her anymore :lol:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Haha yeah i definetly relate!

When a comment was made about no aussie names on the pitch i said
"Over 3/4 of every squad are aussie players ..but ..hmm arent you only a generation from coming here on a leaky boat ?"
It was like i just unprogramed him , he stopped for a moment and realised what he was saying.

In their defence, its just mindless rhetoric they are repeating from society that very soon gets spoken as fact and they dont even realise what they are alluding to. However IMO that type of middle class ignorance is the most dangerous of all

Return to “A-Leagues”