FFA 20 Year Plan ✯✯ the great leap forward ✯✯

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

FFA 20 Year Plan ✯✯ the great leap forward ✯✯

Postby sevengoals Wed May 06, 2015 3:36 am

The main points.
Key aims of FFA’s plan for the future of Australian football:

✯ A 15-million strong football community by 2035, including one million club members

✯ A distinctive Australian style of playing that puts the national teams in contention for all FIFA and AFC championships

✯ Hosting the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup to drive women’s football participation and professionalism

✯ National competitions that attract 75 per cent of participants to support a top-tier club

✯ A combined pool of 3000 elite male and female players from 12 to 19 vying for future national selection and professional contracts

✯ Academies that provide world-class coaching, eliminating the need for Australian youth to find elite development overseas

✯ A redistribution of resources to community football

✯ Lower-cost and higher-quality coach education from the grassroots to professional tier

✯ Making schools and social football the focus of an “Anytime, Anyhow, Anywhere” approach to playing the game

✯ Sourcing football facilities that accommodate increasing urban density

✯ Redefining the role of referees as game facilitators, not just as arbitrators of the laws of the game
We're open for discussion.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: FFA 20 Year Plan ✯✯ the great leap forward ✯✯

Postby blahblah Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 am

It's certainly an interesting document, though the lack of promotion/relegation being mentioned will no doubt frustrate some.

Some of the interesting points were the requirements for NPL sides to enter the HAL coupled with the requirement for populations around 500,000 to be viable. The name "Palm Beach Sharks" bubbles to the surface.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 am

Another important stat is the plan to increase coaching numbers from 24k to 100k.
I'm a huge fan of that. Hopefully reducing the cost of that would be a huge benefit.

I see the reason for not going with the Pro/Rel is due to the fact the FFA would then have to set up a safety net for HAL clubs if they get relegated. Most are heavily reliant on the Fox TV money so what would happen then.
I wonder how the AFC will take the news considering they want Pro/Rel so badly.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 am

I really wish the Australian market could support promotion/relegation, I love the concept, but the reality is that it can't. So I do believe it is the right thing to do by avoiding it. ATM, I don't the AFC would be too bothered, with the FFA cup now here, its kinda opened up the links between lower divions, and the FFA have now defined the conditions of entry into the A-League for local clubs.

A good point was raised on fourfourtwo tho, "The NPL is a terrible indicator of a club's A-League potential for the same reason A-League clubs 'can't survive' relegation."
It would be hard for teams in the NPL to be relevant enough to build a fanbase when promotion to the A-League is uncertain.
Maybe not now but somewhere down the track, if theres a decent B-League, maybe do something they do in Argentina, where the team/s with the worst 3 year averages get relegated. Just an idea, don't see it happening, definitely not within the next 20 years.

Didn't look like in the plan, there was any mention of seperating the FFA from the A-League so it could be independently run. Which is frankly disappointing.
Research shows that 22% of junior participants are fans of an A-League club. The conversion rate is below what is required to deliver sustained growth. Other Australian sports count up to 70% of their junior participation base as fans of their Australian clubs, although these other sports do not have the complication of attractive international club brands, as Football does.
I thought that was interesting that it was only 22%. Logical in a way, fans of and who play Aussie rules or rugby league don't have as many choices. AFL and NRL are their only real choice. While being the world game is positive, the popularity of European leagues his hindering the conversion rate of our juniors.
If we want to be the biggest sport in Australia like plan says, need to get that percentage up.

Talks about that due to our large participation numbers that there is "a lot of mouths to feed, but with a limited amount to give". They highlighted that most of our funding is from within, as opposed to some other codes.

Overall it was a good plan. We could nit pick here and there. But in general they want to grow just as much as we want the sport to, and they recognise many things that we need to do.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 am

I really wish the Australian market could support promotion/relegation, I love the concept, but the reality is that it can't. So I do believe it is the right thing to do by avoiding it. ATM, I don't the AFC would be too bothered, with the FFA cup now here, its kinda opened up the links between lower divions, and the FFA have now defined the conditions of entry into the A-League for local clubs.

A good point was raised on fourfourtwo tho, "The NPL is a terrible indicator of a club's A-League potential for the same reason A-League clubs 'can't survive' relegation."
It would be hard for teams in the NPL to be relevant enough to build a fanbase when promotion to the A-League is uncertain.
Maybe not now but somewhere down the track, if theres a decent B-League, maybe do something they do in Argentina, where the team/s with the worst 3 year averages get relegated. Just an idea, don't see it happening, definitely not within the next 20 years.

Didn't look like in the plan, there was any mention of seperating the FFA from the A-League so it could be independently run. Which is frankly disappointing.
Research shows that 22% of junior participants are fans of an A-League club. The conversion rate is below what is required to deliver sustained growth. Other Australian sports count up to 70% of their junior participation base as fans of their Australian clubs, although these other sports do not have the complication of attractive international club brands, as Football does.
I thought that was interesting that it was only 22%. Logical in a way, fans of and who play Aussie rules or rugby league don't have as many choices. AFL and NRL are their only real choice. While being the world game is positive, the popularity of European leagues his hindering the conversion rate of our juniors.
If we want to be the biggest sport in Australia like plan says, need to get that percentage up.

Talks about that due to our large participation numbers that there is "a lot of mouths to feed, but with a limited amount to give". They highlighted that most of our funding is from within, as opposed to some other codes.

Overall it was a good plan. We could nit pick here and there. But in general they want to grow just as much as we want the sport to, and they recognise many things that we need to do.
Yeah good point that fans aren't force to follow the HAL when there are so many other great leagues out there.

I doubt the FFA would bring up separation of FFA and the HAL. They wouldn't want something like that.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed May 06, 2015 5:27 pm

A national football Museum.

Joe Gorman's view.
(which I totally agree with.)
Football was genuinely multicultural well before multiculturalism was public policy. The ethnic social clubs that emerged in the post-war period provided some of our greatest clubs and players. Great Australians such as Charlie Perkins and Marin Alagich, hailed as champions of multiculturalism, found community and sanctuaries from racism at football clubs run by migrants. Any Australian football museum must reflect this truth.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... joe-gorman

The reality?
Australian Rules Football is our game because it suits the type of people Australians are. Your game is called soccer because it cannot be called football as it is in the rest of the world. I lived in England as a teacher from 2002 to 2007 and never saw a football game because I consider it to be boring as there is not enough scoring. Humans are born with four limbs and soccer only uses two while Australian Rules Football uses all 4 limbs and the scoring occurs during all four quarters. Young people may start to play soccer but if they want to be accepted as Australians they need to play our game or be left on the outer. Look at the names and you will see they have switched to our game as that is what we Australians want.

One of the 83 comments.

Sometimes while things change they stay the same.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

^and to think that moron is a teacher :bang:
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed May 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Amazing, eh?

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Amazing, eh?
I really have a love hate relationship with this country, the middle class rascism that often get disguised with " im not racist.. But.." Type of comments and fear of anything different is embarassing and infuriating.

Eddie mcguire recently said aleague is the equivelant to a bunch of african kids kicking a ball around ......how is this ok?

Im not sure i ever want the game to be so popular in this country that these people start attending.

I love going to hindmarsh knowing ill hear atleast a couple of different languages spoken in the seats around me and hear people talking about their next trip overseas. Or even making an effort to pronounce peoples names correctly.

Im all for the game growing but not at the risk of selling out the great thing about the game that we love.

Anyways rant over..... I thought the 20 year plan was a bit vague and wishy washy for the most part
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Wed May 06, 2015 9:34 pm

I thought the 20 year plan was a bit vague and wishy washy for the most part
It was that and more, but that's sort of the point of these documents. They're intended to give something to aspire to rather than a definitive set of targets. Of course, you may ask, 'what's the point then?'. Sadly, I'm not the person to answer that, it's a modern management sort of thing that makes managers feel all warm and fuzzy.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 am

I know exactly where you're coming from shinAUFC.

As much as things change somethings always stay the same.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu May 07, 2015 6:11 pm

Women's football re: the 20y plan, one view.
Women’s football is healthier for coming under the administration of the newly constituted FFA in the early 2000s. That, however, is not to deny there is still a long way to go. As a blueprint for the game’s future, the WOFP is aspirational in nature. The greatest test will come in its execution and that is where there are still several questions to be asked.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... an-comment

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “A-Leagues”