NYL

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

NYL

Postby Stuckey Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:58 pm

The National Youth League (NYL) could be on the brink of folding with three teams set to pull out next season in a bid to cut costs, and two more believed to be considering their options.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... e-pull-out

It would be very sad to lose the NYL but I can understand that clubs don't want to spend as much as they do. Why the NYL isn't just aligned with the HAL fixture makes no sense to me. IMO there could be a lot more ways for the NYL to run at a far lower cost.

Interesting that Sage has said that once the NPL clubs are set up the NYL would be wrapped up.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: NYL in danger

Postby blahblah Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Saw that on TWG. FFA needs that new media deal ASAP.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 pm

Saw that on TWG. FFA needs that new media deal ASAP.
I'm not sure if that would fix much as the PFA ensure as much of that money goes to their members as possible. Which IMO is one of the main reasons why the NYL is in the trouble its in.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:52 am

The NYL may undergo some structural changes for the upcoming season
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/tran ... m8vfJfX.99

Not this again. I'm aware the NYL will go eventually but I would like to see it replaced with something. Obviously the main issue is cost. With a NYL side costing HAL clubs anywhere from $450k - $250k. Although the larger figure was reported by Perth and we all know how good their accountants are!

One of the reasons the HAL clubs are entering the local league is to provide promising talent with 40-50 games a season (roughly 30 games locally and 18 games in the NYL.) That's not going to happen if they cut the NYL.
I guess we'll wait an see what these changes are but hopefully it involves travelling less (but still a bit) and maybe playing local sides over the summer as well.
I think clubs should be encouraged to look at participating in international youth tournaments then as well instead of taking a break from their local league commitments like AU did this season.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

Losing the NYL isn't too big a deal as long as the NPL can more than make up for it's loss. I don't think it can though.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:23 am

Losing the NYL isn't too big a deal as long as the NPL can more than make up for it's loss. I don't think it can though.
Yeah something still needs to occur over the summer. Especially considering some HAL clubs use it to keep fringe players fit.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 pm

The structure was always going to change, there is so much travel for a few hardcore fans and their dogs to watch the games.

Isnt the NPL supposed to be aligning with the aleague season soon anyway? If so a youth league round robin/knockout carnivale at the end of the season is possibly the best way to go.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:00 pm

The structure was always going to change, there is so much travel for a few hardcore fans and their dogs to watch the games.

Isnt the NPL supposed to be aligning with the aleague season soon anyway? If so a youth league round robin/knockout carnivale at the end of the season is possibly the best way to go.
I've heard talk of that but nothing more than ideas I think.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 am

As Josep said, its imperative that young players play at least 60 games a year. ATM they are still no where near that mark, but taking away the NYL doesn't help.

As long as the games are replaced in some fashion, I'm sure it won't matter the form it comes in.
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 am

If the youth league goes... the Victorian and NSW youth teams are going to have a massive advantage and in turn their a-league teams will produce a lot more talent.

Their leagues are a lot stronger than what we have here in SA - so United only playing against SA based teams compared to victory playing in the Vic NPL have a massive advantage.

There still needs to be interstate competition.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:48 am

If the youth league goes... the Victorian and NSW youth teams are going to have a massive advantage and in turn their a-league teams will produce a lot more talent.

Their leagues are a lot stronger than what we have here in SA - so United only playing against SA based teams compared to victory playing in the Vic NPL have a massive advantage.

There still needs to be interstate competition.
Looking at the results of SA sides of late I'm not so sure that is entirely correct but I think the main issue would be the fact that then the HAL youth sides wouldn't be playing for a long period of time.
If the NYL goes, something needs to replace it.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:24 am

Looking at the results of SA sides of late I'm not so sure that is entirely correct but I think the main issue would be the fact that then the HAL youth sides wouldn't be playing for a long period of time.
If the NYL goes, something needs to replace it.
I agree that the main problem is the amount of time the NYL play. The NPL is a superb place for them to be however it is too short. The NYL also offers far broader exposure for players. The main problem is the expense, and it worries me somewhat that the PFA-FFA negotiations may result in the collapse of the NYL if clubs look to cut costs in the face of increased senior player wages.
Stuckey

Re: NYL

Postby Stuckey Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 am

Football Federation Australia will unveil the biggest overhaul of youth development in more than a decade, effectively scrapping the existing format of the National Youth League to give clubs a streamlined and exclusive control of the development of their young talent.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa- ... z3mbXYb1Hi
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

This does make sense. Sad to see the comp reduced down but apparently fielding a NYL side was costing every HAL clubs nearly $400k a season.
This will allow all the clubs to focus purely on their NPL seasons as last year the NPL and NYL overlapped.
Hopefully this also provides time for the NYL sides to attend international tournaments as I don't think they should be taking breaks in the NPL season to take part in them.

I found this funny though.
It is understood the pools of the National Youth League may be divided by geography to help significantly cut costs for many of the A-League clubs. Western Sydney Wanderers, Sydney FC, Central Coast Mariners, Newcastle Jets and the FFA CoE team (Canberra) are likely to be pitted together. Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City, Brisbane Roar, Adelaide and Perth Glory are set to be the other pool.
So the geography is NSW, and everyone else.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: NYL

Postby shinAUFC Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Football Federation Australia will unveil the biggest overhaul of youth development in more than a decade, effectively scrapping the existing format of the National Youth League to give clubs a streamlined and exclusive control of the development of their young talent.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa- ... z3mbXYb1Hi
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

This does make sense. Sad to see the comp reduced down but apparently fielding a NYL side was costing every HAL clubs nearly $400k a season.
This will allow all the clubs to focus purely on their NPL seasons as last year the NPL and NYL overlapped.
Hopefully this also provides time for the NYL sides to attend international tournaments as I don't think they should be taking breaks in the NPL season to take part in them.

I found this funny though.
It is understood the pools of the National Youth League may be divided by geography to help significantly cut costs for many of the A-League clubs. Western Sydney Wanderers, Sydney FC, Central Coast Mariners, Newcastle Jets and the FFA CoE team (Canberra) are likely to be pitted together. Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City, Brisbane Roar, Adelaide and Perth Glory are set to be the other pool.
So the geography is NSW, and everyone else.
that last quote really speaks volumes as to where the priorities are. its nit picking i know but paying for the travel expenses reduces our buying power even more when the nsw clubs just take a bus..
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “A-Leagues”