Independent HAL

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Independent HAL

Postby Stuckey Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 am

ADELAIDE United chairman Greg Griffin says the powerful City Football Group may discuss the potential of running an independent A-League competition.

The company which owns Manchester City, New York City and has a majority stake in Melbourne City and about 20 per cent of Yokohama F Marinos has invited the A-League’s 10 chief owners to a gathering in the United Arab Emirates and to be guests of the Formula One race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 7130444216

Fair deuce to old mate. Interesting article.
God I hope parts of it are wrong though.
I'd hate to see the HAL follow the EPL model. Please please look at the Bundesliga model!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: Independent HAL

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 am

#valsaid

the trouble is FFA own the rights to every club, they basically just send out a tender for each club more or less.

There is probably some truth to the article though and the more power the clubs have the less plastic the league will feel.

I wonder if FFA regret getting City group involved in the league?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:24 am

All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 am

#valsaid

the trouble is FFA own the rights to every club, they basically just send out a tender for each club more or less.

There is probably some truth to the article though and the more power the clubs have the less plastic the league will feel.

I wonder if FFA regret getting City group involved in the league?
Yeah, but surely the FFA can't just sit there with its hand out expecting owners to throw millions of dollars at something they don't entirely control.
Time to Djbate!
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm

do you feel though the league is ready to take this step?
i completely understand why the league was set up this way - but i feel the league has to really show and prove it can survive out on its own.

what would happen if a club goes broke? does it go into administration and fold or would the League prop it up and take it over?
and then what of the salary cap? we dont all have middle eastern owners with unlimited cash supplies...
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:10 pm

i completely understand why the league was set up this way - but i feel the league has to really show and prove it can survive out on its own.

what would happen if a club goes broke? does it go into administration and fold or would the League prop it up and take it over?
and then what of the salary cap? we dont all have middle eastern owners with unlimited cash supplies...
This model is part of the recommendations in the Crawford report so I think it'll happen eventually. Whether it will happen now or later, I'm not sure.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:48 pm

This model is part of the recommendations in the Crawford report so I think it'll happen eventually. Whether it will happen now or later, I'm not sure.
i agree and i think it should happen - im just not so sure if the timing would be right to do it now
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Part of the evolution of the game in Australia. It's initial talks and tbh we are not ready to leave the nest yet. Teams like us can't afford to leave the salary cap. Good there are talks and shows the progress of the game

Return to “A-Leagues”