New club in Adelaide?

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

New club in Adelaide?

Postby Old Gregg Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Take this with a BIG pinch of salt... but apparently there are talks afoot between a local group & the FFA for a 2nd A-League club in Adelaide, aiming for a licence in 2017. All I know is that (a) existing NPL club/s are involved and (b) there is also involvement from an EPL club.
Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? (I do like gossip...)
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: New club in Adelaide?

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:04 pm

IMO i think a 2nd club will be a good thing for adelaide.

But the sceptic in me wonders if the motives may be more about keeping adelaide united a smaller club now that we seem to be having great success on and off the pitch.

I for one would love a second team to hate though and i think adelaide is ready for a second team IF and only IF they are realistic about prospective crowd figures for this club
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

How on earth could we possibly sustain a second club in Adelaide?

Clearly the only option would be Adelaide City?
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

Unless an EPL club funds the club almost entirely I can't see where the money is going to come from locally. AU barely keep their head above water financially.
I'm all for competition as a Adelaide Derby would be brilliant but IMO the only way this could survive is by cutting some of AU's lunch which could potentially kill AU and is no where near a decent amount of money for another HAL club to live off.
If we had AU rolling around in cash then I'd say sure go ahead but we're miles away from that being true.

IMO it doesn't make a lot of sense and really why would an EPL club focus on cutting a city like Adelaide in half support-wise when other parts of the country are untapped on the national level.
Or why don't they invest into a pre-existing club and save loads on set up costs.
Thats one reason why I'm still a little sceptical about HAL expansion. I'd love it to happen but I think we need to ensure the stakeholders we have a happy and healthy before involving more.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 am

At this rate, it would flop. It's all about proper community engagement.

I also feel that a second club would really destroy the value of the 'United' in AUFC.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 am

I dunno.
When Melbourne Heartcity came about it actually seemed to galvanize Victory support.
If the aim of the league is to reach 16 teams or so, a 2nd club in Brisbane / Adelaide / Perth is probably necessary (especially if a NZ side may not be around forever).
But they would definitely need a point of difference with United.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 pm

man city group to make a 2nd adelaide team - adelaide city
next step... perth 8)
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was testing the waters, however any such proposal would probably have to wait in line behind Wollongong, Canberra & SE Queensland as well as potentially behind Auckland, Brisbane (2), Perth (2) and Far North Queensland. Even a 3rd Victorian side may get legs before a 2nd Adelaide based club.

Now a 2nd Adelaide based NYL side, that would be interesting and could form the foundations for a longer term A-League club.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Who is going to support them?

As stated above, surely the only option is Adelaide City but even they would have poor support by A-League standards...
#WeAreUnited
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:45 am

The secret is community engagement.

WSW was a success because to-be fans and members were delegated decision-making power at forums, allowed to collectively decide the name, colours, stadium and logo. As a result they formed a uniting identity that kept players accountable to their supporters. In turn this resulted in success on the pitch. It is a legitimate reason and one that makes sense for original Sydney FC fans who headed west when they said 'I never felt connected to Sydney FC'.

Heart/City did not have this when they formed. As a consequence, they have relatively low crowds and lack any distinct identity. The same argument could be made for Gold Coast. Opposite of WSW, they have had no real success on the pitch.

Central Coast's crowds and atmosphere have declined massively not because of team form, fixturing or otherwise. Recently their work in the community was discontinued. Surprise, surprise, with no engagement crowds are on the down and so is form.

There is a clear correlation: good quality engagement = an accountable team = good performances = successful culture.

Despite the above, there is no formula to 'effective' community engagement, but not only is it one hundred percent necessary, it is vital.

So to apply this directly to a new Adelaide side, the community will need to be involved in a way that completely gazumps anything AU -and to compare, even WSW - have done. Schools, universities, local clubs, the old NSL crowd and more will all need to be involved.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:33 pm

AU do engage their community I would say though they could do a better job of it but due to the seriously limited resources they do what they can IMO.
I really can't see someone in Adelaide coming up with the money required to start a new club up and do it in a better way then AU do. I'd be very sad to see resources blown on a new club when if those were put into AU the club would be in a healthy state.
Time to Djbate!
Geogeo
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carussca
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We hate you because your victorian.

Postby Geogeo Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:21 pm

We have 10,000 regular supporters, and 20,000 part timers who jump on the bandwagon. (they come out for the big matches and the AO events.)

Fans will only come by cutting AU's lunch. It would be the end of football in SA.

Return to “A-Leagues”