Introducing AFSA.

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Introducing AFSA.

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:59 am

With the days running really short (finally!) until the start of the season, there's something I have neglected to really announce until now.

I've got the ball rolling on a 'group for everyone', one intended to grow organically. I don't see it as 'my' group just for the record.

It's called the Australian Football Supporters Association (AFSA for short). It is inspired but not entirely based on the Football Supporters Federation (FSF) in the UK.

Here's the official lowdown.

It's time to get the ball rolling. This is the start. It needs your help, involvement and opinion.

We are the fans. We are Australian. We built our clubs, our supporter groups, our football communities. Our friendships and livelihoods. We have rights and will stand by them.

VISION:
This group is intended to be an open, democratic, independent, participatory and community-run and -driven organisation acting as a single, united voice for ALL football fans in Australia.

This group is intended to:
- Support fan democratisation and representation at all levels.
- Provide formal recognition of supporter rights, both legal and customary.
- Actively advocate for these rights, by speaking out for and engaging in dialogue to address incidences where these rights are not upheld.

This organisation will be free to join. It will seek to hold meetings with the Government or a bipartisan group of Parliament, Police, FFA or any relevant body in relation to matters raised. It will take up and respond to cases raised by individual members or other organisations - and in being participatory, will seek the involvement of all supporters. It will aim to hold an annual summit of football supporters, where directions can be established in democratic fashion.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/600093390106658/
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Introducing AFSA.

Postby blahblah Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 am

Looks like a useful lobbying group for active supporters.

One constraint is the separation of police powers and subsequent legislation to the states which makes national lobbying less effective in this regards. Hence the arrangement would indeed need to be different from that of the UK.

Still, it could be something that adds weight and coordination to any fan advocacy efforts.

Return to “A-Leagues”