FFA & racial discrimination

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: FFA & racial discrimination

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

Also, describing this as 'ethnic cleansing' is sensationalism on a grand scale.
Of course I mainly use it for lack of a better word. Maybe 'mainstreaming'?
I understand that Stuckey, just don't want this turning into debate that makes people assume if you are on the FFA side then you must be racist.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:36 am

Also, describing this as 'ethnic cleansing' is sensationalism on a grand scale.
Of course I mainly use it for lack of a better word. Maybe 'mainstreaming'?
I understand that Stuckey, just don't want this turning into debate that makes people assume if you are on the FFA side then you must be racist.
Of course. I understand this isn't a race issue at all really its purely a marketability issue.
The NSL IMO proved that these clubs tied to one background aren't a viable option in capturing a bigger slice of the sporting market that the game so desperately needs.
I don't want to see the game forget or regret their past but we must learn from clear mistakes made. This I feel is why the FFA are so reluctant to allow clubs so focused on heritage in to any sort of position of power, although I feel the FFA's making it very clear they have a fairly single minded focus of their own, which is to chase the $$ wherever possible and I don't feel that's the best way to run the game either so maybe both can learn a bit from one another.
Time to Djbate!
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 pm

i dont think the issue here is the old nsl days etc even though im sure it does underline the tensions.

the issue is that FFA approved the front of shirt sponsor initially, then 5 days before the game overturned it with some petty reason. the real reason was because it had the word croatia in it. that is discrimination.
alcohol was banned from our tops due to policy reasons, virgin because of sponsorship contracts with FFA. the fact that FFA approved it in the first instance, and then changed their minds in the last minute. it doesn't breach any policy issues and i think, and i could be wrong, the reason given was because the tops didn't match the tops which where played with in the previous knockout game.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:07 pm

i dont think the issue here is the old nsl days etc even though im sure it does underline the tensions.

the issue is that FFA approved the front of shirt sponsor initially, then 5 days before the game overturned it with some petty reason. the real reason was because it had the word croatia in it. that is discrimination.
alcohol was banned from our tops due to policy reasons, virgin because of sponsorship contracts with FFA. the fact that FFA approved it in the first instance, and then changed their minds in the last minute. it doesn't breach any policy issues and i think, and i could be wrong, the reason given was because the tops didn't match the tops which where played with in the previous knockout game.
If that were true then why were other clubs allowed to have other countries in their sponsor names?
Broadmeadow Magic has Newcastle Macedonia Sports Club as their back of shirt sponsor.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah we lost sponsors, but that was due to contractual agreements with the ffa , government and other sponsors.

Being able to reject a sponsor because it is not aussie enough is a diferent kettle of fish.

I realise the ffa did not officially reject the sponsor for these reasons but these new rules allow ffa to make such choices and that is worrying.

Personally id rather the knights stayed as far away from the national stage as possible but this is a separate issue
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ganas

Postby ganas Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm

If that were true then why were other clubs allowed to have other countries in their sponsor names?
Broadmeadow Magic has Newcastle Macedonia Sports Club as their back of shirt sponsor.
im not sure. if that is the case though then maybe the FFA's reasoning will stand.
either way, it doesn't look good from the FFA's behalf, even if it was an honest oversight by somebody which needed to be rectified.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

im not sure. if that is the case though then maybe the FFA's reasoning will stand.
either way, it doesn't look good from the FFA's behalf, even if it was an honest oversight by somebody which needed to be rectified.
Yeah if that's all it was then its a pretty massive and poorly timed balls up from whoever at the FFA.
I just think they would allow one and deny another. There is clearly more to it then that.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 am

Out of curiosity, has the croatian whatever always been the front of shirt sponsor for the knights or was it just for FFA cup?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm

We just played in a special one off shirt featuring an aboriginal design which i believe may be available to the public at some stage.

Since all friendly matches need to be sanctioned by the FFA i wonder how this was any different ?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm

ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 pm

We just played in a special one off shirt featuring an aboriginal design which i believe may be available to the public at some stage.

Since all friendly matches need to be sanctioned by the FFA i wonder how this was any different ?
true. so I assume it was a one off for knights?
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 am

true. so I assume it was a one off for knights?
Yes, that is why it may get interesting, especially as the short sponsors were approved by the FFA and then a subsequent regulation was rushed in to ban them.

I have no love of the Knights, however legally this could be an interesting one.
ganas

Postby ganas Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 am

i don't have any love for the knights either but all clubs should be treated equally.

this whole cup comp is meant to bring 'old' with 'new' football. this saga just seems to really maintain the old vs new football scene.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm

So the knights deliberatly looked for an arguement and got it. And relax i know they should be able to, just love the victim attitude when they played in traffic looking to get hit.
This club was part of the problem with why football couldn't progress any further in Australia, they get put back on the national stage and intentionally pick a fight. I'm sure they are all for the growth of football and the A-league and have no intention of causing problems and playing victim.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm

So the knights deliberatly looked for an arguement and got it. And relax i know they should be able to, just love the victim attitude when they played in traffic looking to get hit.
This club was part of the problem with why football couldn't progress any further in Australia, they get put back on the national stage and intentionally pick a fight. I'm sure they are all for the growth of football and the A-league and have no intention of causing problems and playing victim.
Cant say i disagree with you.

The ffa has done a terrible job here and have managed to make the knights look like the good guys

Return to “A-Leagues”