FFA & racial discrimination

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

FFA & racial discrimination

Postby Old Gregg Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:56 am

http://www.melbourneknights.com.au/melb ... statement/

Melbourne Knights have lodged a complaint to the Human Rights Commission on the grounds of racial discrimination ... and may pursue legal action
Melbourne Knights FC intends to see out the process handled by the Human Rights Commission in the hope of a resolution.

Failing that, the Club has already retained legal representation and is ready to challenge the FFA’s National Club Identity Policy in the Federal Circuit Court.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: FFA & racial discrimination

Postby blahblah Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

This should get interesting.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 pm

they still can't see that the demise of our sport in this country was due to clubs like them.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:54 pm

they still can't see that the demise of our sport in this country was due to clubs like them.
It has absolutly nothing to do with issues of the past, if it was not the knights filing the complaint someone else eventually would have.

In australia it is illegal discriminate against ethnicity.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm

I fully understand it is illegal and I don't want to see it, but the FFA trying to make it clear they wont have clubs in the A-league that are tied to an ethnicity is the right thing to do. they just went about it the wrong way. We lost a sponsor due to it being alcohol because the FFA exempt them. deal with it and move on. I'm sure the human rights have much more pressing matters to deal with.
RedRis
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Carrusca

Postby RedRis Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Who's doing the discriminating?
Hypothetically would Melbourne Knight agree to be sponsored by a Greek, Italian, Serbian etc organisation? Hmmm.
I'm not saying they would discriminate against other ethnicities, I don't really know enough about the club, but would be a good hypothetical.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 pm

what I have seen from the hardcore Melb Knights supporters on multiple occasions is nazi salutes so the irony is laughable
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I am fully supportive of what the Knights are doing and agree with their points.

The FFA's policy is inherently racist and discriminatory. In short, disgusting. Not only this, they deny clubs an identity. Football has always been its own worst enemy in Australia, from the way the FFA treats its own active supporters to this policy. It continues to be such an enemy.

That said, I feel reasonably certain that there is some form of underlying bad blood between the FFA and Knights.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 am

the FFA created what we have now because the NSL discriminated against so many football fans. FFA are trying to make sure people are not excluded from supporting a club by not having the same ethnic ties to a club that should represent a geographical location. the whole idea that the FFA are racist is a joke and nothing more than the victim mentality.
these old NSL clubs have a grudge. and I fully support the FFA who have allowed me to finally be a part of a national competition. and don't tell me I could have been a city or hellas supporter, tried it and had no connection.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 am

This isn't about the A-League or entry into the competition. That is an issue of popularity and ability to engage with a broader demographic; something sides that a built on a smaller demographic base will always struggle with.

This is about sponsorship and naming provisions.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 am

"Not being racist is the new racism"

- Jeff (Community)
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 am

the FFA created what we have now because the NSL discriminated against so many football fans. FFA are trying to make sure people are not excluded from supporting a club by not having the same ethnic ties to a club that should represent a geographical location. the whole idea that the FFA are racist is a joke and nothing more than the victim mentality.
these old NSL clubs have a grudge. and I fully support the FFA who have allowed me to finally be a part of a national competition. and don't tell me I could have been a city or hellas supporter, tried it and had no connection.
I understand that. One of the biggest issues facing the NSL was the lack of outside engagement.
So whats the risk? I say if old clubs want to focus on their heritage (which clearly isn't that great a marketing scheme) then that's their choice. It just means they are putting all their eggs in one basket while clubs like the HAL clubs try and focus on as much of the population they represent as possible. Just as long as that doesn't mean these clubs will come running to the FFA for funding when they get poor crowds or similar issues that plagued the NSL.
As we've seen with the issues with MV and WSW last season and the rivalry between AU and MV. Haters are gonna hate so I feel the ethnic tensions mean little when 'brand new' club's fans are already showing some signs of wanting to get at one another.
If a club does have issues with their crowds the FFA can come down on them like they would any other. Putting the responsibility of this in the clubs hands as they stand to lose money or points out of it.

I feel all this 'ethnic cleansing' is just hurting the game right when it should be coming together with the FFA Cup doing that so well.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am

This isn't about the A-League or entry into the competition. That is an issue of popularity and ability to engage with a broader demographic; something sides that a built on a smaller demographic base will always struggle with.

This is about sponsorship and naming provisions.
I think it has a lot to do with representing the brand of football in australia, through the FFA cup, and with teams like Adelaide city still wanting to be involved at the top level. FFA have the right to say yes or no to sponsors. We couldn't have virgin or coopers. Knights couldn't have melb croatia. If you go to a church you can't wear hats and thongs, adelaide oval members area you must wear a collar. You can't be a male in fernwood gyms. Young people pay more for car insurance. It's all forms of discrimination but it's necessary to protect a brand or a certain group. If this kind of sooking continues the FFA should just dissolve the cup all together and never let these clubs near te national stage! I would agree with knights if they were not allowed to play due to ethnic backgrounds, but they are welcomed, with conditions and that is the right of the FFA.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 am

Also, describing this as 'ethnic cleansing' is sensationalism on a grand scale.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 am

Also, describing this as 'ethnic cleansing' is sensationalism on a grand scale.
Of course I mainly use it for lack of a better word. Maybe 'mainstreaming'?
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”