HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:49 pm

They are in one of those key demographic areas that the FFA want, they'll at least bring more to the table as far as tv money goes, seems like the best candidate for them too.
For sure. IMO the more I think about it the more it seems like a no brainer. SMFC would boost a key market and wouldn't necessarily 'steal' fans away from the current HAL clubs like a start up franchise probably would.
They are also financially sound..... a real bonus in the current environment (and a key reason for keeping the 'Nix)
Speaking of the Nix. I know how a lot of people on 442 feel about New Zealand teams in the A-League. But how do people on here feel about it? Kiwi teams in the A-League yay or nay?

As long as the AFC is cool with us having them, I'm all for Kiwi teams in the league. Hell bring on Auckland if a bid from there makes sense.
That's the thing I don't think the entire AFC are cool with it.
IMO it's one of those things that if enough people in the AFC wanted Australia out this would come back to bite us. IMO I don't think we should be jeopardising our position in Asia to help out NZ football.
I do like having the Nix in HAL but I think a club from somewhere like Singapore would do us far more favours politically.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I don't see the AFC thing as such an issue anymore, it was more of Bin Hammam's beef and he's gone. Not sure how the politics plays out now. I'd love to see Auckland in, however for now let's just secure the 'Nix.

Singapore's not a goer, too damn far and they have the S.League which they want to foster.

A Darwin/Dili side playing in the S.League......now that is a distinct possibility if the FFA would allow it.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

I don't see the AFC thing as such an issue anymore, it was more of Bin Hammam's beef and he's gone. Not sure how the politics plays out now. I'd love to see Auckland in, however for now let's just secure the 'Nix.

Singapore's not a goer, too damn far and they have the S.League which they want to foster.

A Darwin/Dili side playing in the S.League......now that is a distinct possibility if the FFA would allow it.
There seem to be a few rumbles of our place in Asia during the Asian Cup. Things like this are often a death by a thousand cuts, and I think helping out a country from another confederation would be a big cut to exploit.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Id honestly prefer the nix did not exist if it mean we could replace them sith south melbourne or already established former nsl club.

The nix offer very little to the league,ceven NZ tv deal is appalling.

I agine the money saved just on travelling expenses if it was south melbourne/ wollongong instead of the nux.

Also nz's youth identification and development revolves around the nix, a supposed aussie club.

I think souths and sydney united could match their average crowds and already own their own stadiums.

Plus the kiwis are always talking about the aussie bias......go get your own league then stop piggy backing off our.

If they can continue to keep their heads above water then sure leave them be, if they cant pay the bills ...neck them
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Id honestly prefer the nix did not exist if it mean we could replace them sith south melbourne or already established former nsl club.

The nix offer very little to the league,ceven NZ tv deal is appalling.

I agine the money saved just on travelling expenses if it was south melbourne/ wollongong instead of the nux.

Also nz's youth identification and development revolves around the nix, a supposed aussie club.

I think souths and sydney united could match their average crowds and already own their own stadiums.

Plus the kiwis are always talking about the aussie bias......go get your own league then stop piggy backing off our.

If they can continue to keep their heads above water then sure leave them be, if they cant pay the bills ...neck them
I agree although I at this stage the HAL desperately needs more clubs so I'll take who we can get for now.
But if the HAL got to 14 clubs and another Australian club wanted in I'd be saying see ya to the Nix.
Unless by then Oceania has joined the AFC and then the more NZ clubs the merrier.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Thats a fair enough stance, apart from the fact that if we were to replace them when something better comes along than we are just stringing the club, their owner and their fans along all that time. And that is just not fkning fair to any of them. We either tell them they're not wanted and fold them now or never! Mods feel free to edit this after, but unless the FFA will compensate them for not doing it sooner, its a crunt-ish move to not be honest with where they stand.

I think if we can get the ok from the AFC, SkyNZ starts paying a fairer share (maybe that will lead to another NZ club), than I think we should keep them in the league.
:lol: Que? The bias is clearly there, they wouldn't care as much if they weren't treated like a temporary club, there for the sole benefit of keeping the Australian's league up to 10 teams. They do have their own league. We asked them to be part of ours, not the other way around.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:27 am

I don't think they are treated like a temporary club. The FFA wouldn't have them there unless they wanted them there. The fact that SMFC have been knocked back twice shows that FFA don't just grab everyone's money.
But IMO if you build your house on shakey foundations don't expect your house to stand the tests of time.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 am

I don't think they have agreed on a license extension as of yet, and if any of the reports are true, then it will be shorter than other a-league clubs. So yeah I'll stick by the temporary tag ahaha
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Thats a fair enough stance, apart from the fact that if we were to replace them when something better comes along than we are just stringing the club, their owner and their fans along all that time. And that is just not fkning fair to any of them. We either tell them they're not wanted and fold them now or never! Mods feel free to edit this after, but unless the FFA will compensate them for not doing it sooner, its a crunt-ish move to not be honest with where they stand.

I think if we can get the ok from the AFC, SkyNZ starts paying a fairer share (maybe that will lead to another NZ club), than I think we should keep them in the league.
:lol: Que? The bias is clearly there, they wouldn't care as much if they weren't treated like a temporary club, there for the sole benefit of keeping the Australian's league up to 10 teams. They do have their own league. We asked them to be part of ours, not the other way around.
I think the nix and their fans should be treated with respect. But im not sure there are many nix fans as they rarely break 10k and 3 men and their dogs watch the telecast in NZ.

I just dont like the nix being a vehicle for the kiwi national team. The kiwis will cry till their red in the face that its not true but even their youth team that plays in the local league is more or less a devlopmental all whites squad.

We did in ite them to be apart of the league but its the 2nd time a kiwi club has not amounted to much in the leagues history. If they stepped up to the plate id probably feel a little different.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Que? The bias is clearly there, they wouldn't care as much if they weren't treated like a temporary club, there for the sole benefit of keeping the Australian's league up to 10 teams. They do have their own league. We asked them to be part of ours, not the other way around.
I think the nix and their fans should be treated with respect. But im not sure there are many nix fans as they rarely break 10k and 3 men and their dogs watch the telecast in NZ.

I just dont like the nix being a vehicle for the kiwi national team. The kiwis will cry till their red in the face that its not true but even their youth team that plays in the local league is more or less a devlopmental all whites squad.

We did in ite them to be apart of the league but its the 2nd time a kiwi club has not amounted to much in the leagues history. If they stepped up to the plate id probably feel a little different.
By step up to the plate you mean on field?
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:14 pm

More so the kiwi public getting behind the club, it rarely happens unless its a world cup year
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm not really against Wellington (or other NZ teams) being in the league but there are some issues with them.

1. FFNZ don't seem to want to back them so if the owners fall into trouble, new owners need to be found immediately or else the franchise is dead. FFA can't come in and spend Australian football money on them like they're doing with Newcastle at the moment and like they've done to other clubs like us in the past.
2. There are overheads running in 2 countries as well as the travel factor that make them more expensive to have in the league. That'd be fine if the market was making significant enough dollars but they're not even making 1/10th of what the other 9 clubs in the HAL are doing. This means that even if the owners are covering the costs of running that club they're actually taking Australian money (from sponsorship and the TV deal) rather than sustaining themselves.
3. The whole AFC not liking them in our league thing
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm not really against Wellington (or other NZ teams) being in the league but there are some issues with them.

1. FFNZ don't seem to want to back them so if the owners fall into trouble, new owners need to be found immediately or else the franchise is dead. FFA can't come in and spend Australian football money on them like they're doing with Newcastle at the moment and like they've done to other clubs like us in the past.
2. There are overheads running in 2 countries as well as the travel factor that make them more expensive to have in the league. That'd be fine if the market was making significant enough dollars but they're not even making 1/10th of what the other 9 clubs in the HAL are doing. This means that even if the owners are covering the costs of running that club they're actually taking Australian money (from sponsorship and the TV deal) rather than sustaining themselves.
3. The whole AFC not liking them in our league thing
I agree. For me it's a tight call but the negatives slightly out weigh the positives.
Time to Djbate!
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:56 pm

I think we're doing the right thing in supporting NZ football by giving them a spot in the A-League. However, that NZ team has to be financially supported by NZ, not by us. We should be giving them support, not charity.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:20 pm

I think we're doing the right thing in supporting NZ football by giving them a spot in the A-League. However, that NZ team has to be financially supported by NZ, not by us. We should be giving them support, not charity.
We make extra money on the TV rights in Australia due to the extra content that is provided by having a viable NZ side in the competition. It is not charity, we need them.

Return to “A-Leagues”