HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Ok reading up about this bid, they are building their own 15k stadium in tarneit but wont be ready for atleast the first 2 seasons.

So... they will play their first 2 seasons at kardinia park ( a fucking afl ground ) in geelong. I beleive its roughly 50 minutes drive from their home base in tarneit....

Already expecting alot from fans they do not yet have. Maybe im missing something
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Exclusion.
Rejection.
No wogs allowed.

A pox on the FFA.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Interloper Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Ok reading up about this bid, they are building their own 15k stadium in tarneit but wont be ready for atleast the first 2 seasons.

So... they will play their first 2 seasons at kardinia park ( a fucking afl ground ) in geelong. I beleive its roughly 50 minutes drive from their home base in tarneit....

Already expecting alot from fans they do not yet have. Maybe im missing something
Tarneit is so far out it's barely in Melbourne, (One suburb North of Werribee, traditionally treated as a distinct city.) This has obvious disadvantages of being hard to get to, but this is lessened by it being on a new train line in Melbourne with relatively few stops and frequent service, and the future planned outer city loop.

It also makes it easier to attract a more parochial local fan than just Big City Team Number 3. Also they supposedly have a fairly secure plan for a stadium, apparently a big problem with other bids, that can be built without having to worry about uppity locals complaining, because there are none in the immediate vicinity yet.

For me the biggest problem isn't the location, It's that they essentially have to launch the team twice. Once in Geelong, and once again when/if the stadium is built. 2 years is a lot of time for baggage to be accrued.

Also, Kardinia Park may not be ideal, but its facilities are modern and it is extremely cheap to use. New stadiums in Australia have shown in the last few years to be anything but cheap. So I suspect there is a huge risk that if the club does get a faithful following initially, they may be priced out at the permanent home.

Overall, I suspect the main criteria for selection was Worst-Case scenario, and these two bids are probably the only two whose worst-case after 5 years didn't end with "Doesn't exist anymore"
Interloper

Postby Interloper Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Overall, I suspect the main criteria for selection was Worst-Case scenario, and these two bids are probably the only two whose worst-case after 5 years didn't end with "Doesn't exist anymore"
Except for South Melbourne whose recent reputation for being creative with numbers probably made any statistics they quoted meaningless.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm no fan of the NSL (which is an understatement), but I think South Melbourne would have been a solid inclusion.

I think they lost out because it would have been a third inner city Melbourne club.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm no fan of the NSL (which is an understatement), but I think South Melbourne would have been a solid inclusion.

I think they lost out because it would have been a third inner city Melbourne club.
Yes I agree, Like another HAL side in Adelaide I think the support South Melb would lure would be cannibalising existing HAL fans. I feel that's the exact opposite thing the FFA would be after.
The easy answer to that is don't create another Melbourne club and give Tassie or Canberra a club but dividing 4.2m people by three is still better than adding 350k into the mix in a lot of ways.

Personally I'm just so sick of delays and spin that has gone with all this over the years. I'm just happy an expansion has been announced. They could have given Coober Pedy and Kalgoorlie the licences and I would have been happy.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm also fed up with this on again, off again expansion and I would also have preferred seeing a club from Canberra or Tasmania or any where except for Sydney or Melbourne.

B)

But South Melbourne is not "the NSL".
We all know it is a fully functioning football club with it's own set of members /supporters, it's own ground, It's own youth set up, it's own group of players , it's own history.
It's a real football club, ready to go.

"West Melbourne" have no stadium, they have no players, they have no club, they have no supporters, they have no youth system but according to all reports will have an A-league license.

How does that work?

They have already got a Wiki page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Melbourne_FC

Far out...

:?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 am

West Melb was in my humble opinion the best bid. It was seriously ambitious to announce they will build their own stadium and are combining not just football but a large number of other community aspects to this. I think it will have more identity that and connection to the community than what City has.
IMO West Melbourne as an area has a lot of similarities to West Sydney as there is little engagement from national sport and they require identities to band the community together like what WSW did.
Personally I'm 100% happy to see West Melb be included South West Syd is one bid I'm really unsure as to why that won. Sydney FC were moaning about Southern Expansion taking their fans away. But then this is a massive challenge for WSW membership numbers surely.
I can understand the lack of interest in a Tassie side. I really can't see the money or large scale interest being their for them long term and I think Tassie would just become another Nix.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:47 pm

The interesting aspect of this is for the next round of expansion Sydney and Melbourne are effectively off the table.

I imagine the FFA will be gunning for a second Brisbane side, however after that the field is relatively open.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 pm

The interesting aspect of this is for the next round of expansion Sydney and Melbourne are effectively off the table.

I imagine the FFA will be gunning for a second Brisbane side, however after that the field is relatively open.
Obviously there is more to it than just dividing the greater population of the large cities.
But that is a decent place to begin considering things.
Melbourne's population is 4.8m, divide by 4 clubs = 1.2m population per club.

Compare that to Canberra's population which is 390k.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I am loving the way Western United is being hounded by the Melbourne Victory (and to extent City) fan base. They really are not fond of the idea :D
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I am loving the way Western United is being hounded by the Melbourne Victory (and to extent City) fan base. They really are not fond of the idea :D
Well that's endearing them to me already. :D
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:30 pm

The introduction of a National Second Division competition appears to be a step closer to becoming reality following last week’s meeting of the National Second Division Working Group under the auspices of the FFA.

The Working Group, which met last week under the chairmanship of FFA Board member Remo Nogarotto, consisted of most of the major stakeholders of the game, including all the State Member Federations, A-League club representatives, the Professional Footballers Association (PFA), and the AAFC (Australian Association of Football Clubs (AAFC) representing the NPL clubs nationwide.
https://neoskosmos.com/en/131394/nation ... -of-march/

Hallelujah!
The process has started.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:38 pm

"Let's get it started. The quicker the better."

My question is, where's the money going to come from to fund it? I'm not even talking about professional players, I'm talking about appropriate backroom staff for player welfare (doctors, physios, etc for each team), airfare costs to fly say 4 teams a week including support staff around the country.
Now that the A-league clubs have control of the purse strings, do you think they'll take a cut to their own income in order to create a second division they could be relegated to?
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 pm

The Working Group, which met last week under the chairmanship of FFA Board member Remo Nogarotto, consisted of most of the major stakeholders of the game, including all the State Member Federations, A-League club representatives, the Professional Footballers Association (PFA), and the AAFC (Australian Association of Football Clubs (AAFC) representing the NPL clubs nationwide.

At the meeting, they agreed to form a smaller working group which will finalise the National Second Tier model by the end of March, consistent with the timetable of the New League Working Group (NLWG) set up to develop a new model for the A-League.
https://neoskosmos.com/en/131394/nation ... -of-march/

The stake holders seem to be in this together and pulling in one direction.
We all agree that the game at the national level has stalled and there needs to be positive change to move forward.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “A-Leagues”