HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby Stuckey Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:14 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 3d2a2885e1

Sounds great Fox. Now pay for it! Please!
:D
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 am

There has been some discussion on here again about expansion in the A-League. So I thought I'd steer any keen listeners to the Daily Football Show. If you aren't acquainted with them, they've been running a series for a past few weeks looking at possible expansion candidates called A-League Next, they talk to the people involved in the bids.

Daily Football Show: A-League Next

They've already done Wollongong, Canberra, Gold Coast, Far North Queensland and Ipswich. They'll be doing South Melbourne tomorrow, with I believe plans to do Auckland, Geelong and some more as well.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Like most of you, I’ve been around Australian football long enough to know the epic list of annual debates. Most fade as quickly as they rise but the issue of promotion and relegation is the one that isn’t dying.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/201 ... -our-hands

I feel like he's essentially saying "The FFA has failed these ambitious clubs who long to join the HAL. So they need to sort this out themselves."
I seriously doubt the PFA would want to lend a hand when none of the players in the NPL are PFA members. They voted against reducing the visa spot allowance for HAL clubs essentially voting against more Australian players joining HAL clubs.
I like the idea that the NPL clubs get the ball rolling and I believe that probably what it will take but I'm sad it will have to come to that, if it ever happens.
But considering the track record of the game in Australia what is the likelihood of these clubs coming together and building a league of their own?
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:34 am

Cronulla Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman has revealed the National Rugby League club would consider owning the licence for a Southern Sydney A-League side if Football Federation Australia decide to base an expansion team in the region.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... ub-licence

IMO this makes the most sense for the next club.
Who better than one of the key figures of the WSW start up to lead it.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Cronulla Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman has revealed the National Rugby League club would consider owning the licence for a Southern Sydney A-League side if Football Federation Australia decide to base an expansion team in the region.

"And Gorman believes the Southern Sydney A-League club should encompass the St George, Sutherland Shire and Illawarra associations."

Thats where it loses me. Illawarra doesn't want to be part of a Southern Sydney bid. Not only will they not come, but it blocks any bids for a Wollongong club as the FFA will still be diluded into thinking South Sydney have a place there and they will fear fans will be taken away.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:24 pm

"And Gorman believes the Southern Sydney A-League club should encompass the St George, Sutherland Shire and Illawarra associations."

Thats where it loses me. Illawarra doesn't want to be part of a Southern Sydney bid. Not only will they not come, but it blocks any bids for a Wollongong club as the FFA will still be diluded into thinking South Sydney have a place there and they will fear fans will be taken away.
Yeah I agree trying to include Wollongong is silly but obviously its something they'll "try" and do if they can. Kind of like how CCM wants to pick up as many Northern Sydney fans as possible irrespective of how unrealistic that is.
If a Wollongong club gets the go ahead in the future it would be nice to have this South Sydney rivalry to boost things. Although rivalries aren't something to base a club around but they are an excellent boost if they can exist.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Yeah I agree trying to include Wollongong is silly but obviously its something they'll "try" and do if they can. Kind of like how CCM wants to pick up as many Northern Sydney fans as possible irrespective of how unrealistic that is.
If a Wollongong club gets the go ahead in the future it would be nice to have this South Sydney rivalry to boost things. Although rivalries aren't something to base a club around but they are an excellent boost if they can exist.
I also feel a Wollongong club, specifically the Wolves have already started the process of getting themselves ready for entering the A-League. There are many boxes to tick, but they have started to work towards ticking them off. They're already getting a marketable brand together, they have a stadium suitable for them and ready to use, they are working towards youth and W-League teams, and improving their training facilities etc. I'd like to see that sort of initiative and effort rewarded. South Sydney is merely theoretical, all they have is the population numbers supposedly which is dragged out everytime a discussion is had and apparently thats enough, they'll just do the ground work later.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:41 pm

I also feel a Wollongong club, specifically the Wolves have already started the process of getting themselves ready for entering the A-League. There are many boxes to tick, but they have started to work towards ticking them off. They're already getting a marketable brand together, they have a stadium suitable for them and ready to use, they are working towards youth and W-League teams, and improving their training facilities etc. I'd like to see that sort of initiative and effort rewarded. South Sydney is merely theoretical, all they have is the population numbers supposedly which is dragged out everytime a discussion is had and apparently thats enough, they'll just do the ground work later.
For sure they tick a hell of a lot of boxes.
But WSW have shown that a massive population base can create a power club. I'm sure the FFA see this as the "sure thing" for the next club.
Where as they would probably view Wollongong as another CCM. Along of boxes are ticked but the population (or lack of) means that the club will probably be battling to compete over a long term period.

If it was up to me I'd have Wollongong in tomorrow.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 am

Watching City and Victory snap up players left and right makes me feel a tad sorry for the local kids.

Surely a 3rd A-League club for Victoria must be in the works.

A St Pauli type of club would be great for the league however that requires the type of vision our neighbours are unlikely to possess. Most likely a SMH backed club will muscle forward.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:07 am

Watching City and Victory snap up players left and right makes me feel a tad sorry for the local kids.

Surely a 3rd A-League club for Victoria must be in the works.

A St Pauli type of club would be great for the league however that requires the type of vision our neighbours are unlikely to possess. Most likely a SMH backed club will muscle forward.
I think heart had that philosophy,cwhen you look at the youth they let go who have gone onto good things its staggering. They have turned into the complete opposite now.

Take a look at leckie, he couldnt even make it in the youth team, few months later he is first team at aufc and the most exciting winger in the league.

Why clubs recycle guys like cernak is beyond me
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:44 pm

SM or MK will be an awesome addition to the A League, same with Wollongong. If the competition could be pro/rel then it would all be so much easier.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 pm

It is finding a point of difference that those who are strident in a 2nd Adelaide team struggle with. As they are fervently anti-AUFC they believe this sentiment is sufficient to garner support for an A-League club. The Heart experience suggests that this is an inadequate foundation piece.

I'd love to see a 2nd Adelaide side however in the FFA list of priorities it sits behind:

Wollongong/South Sydney
Canberra
3rd Melbourne/Geelong
Gold Coast
2nd Perth
2nd Brisbane/Sunshine Coast

and probably sits on par with:
Darwin
Tasmania
Auckland
North Queensland

That's a lot of waiting.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:58 pm

SM or MK will be an awesome addition to the A League, same with Wollongong. If the competition could be pro/rel then it would all be so much easier.

I don't think many would be surprised if the next round of expansion included Wollongong and SM
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't think many would be surprised if the next round of expansion included Wollongong and SM
I would be. It wouldn't surprise me (unless something changes) that the FFA want start up clubs coming in not pre-existing NSL club

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:21 pm

I would be. It wouldn't surprise me (unless something changes) that the FFA want start up clubs coming in not pre-existing NSL club
They may go for a new club that is owned/backed by an ex-NSL club, similar to the Port Power scenario.

Return to “A-Leagues”