HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

ganas
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby ganas Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:40 am

that clip is hilarious - i would love to know what they are actually laughing at!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:50 pm

The guy with one tooth was creepy as all hell ahah
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:19 am

A DUAL NRL and A-League expansion bid is being planned for Ipswich with FFA chief David Gallop stating the city deserves a 30,000 seat stadium.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-a- ... 7418637667

I don't know the logistics of Brisbane and how big Ipswich is but on paper this all sounds very good.
I think a FFA/NRL controlled ground would be great for cutting out the major event levy which could allow for growth. I also like the sound of build a temporary 10k boutique stadium to begin with to get the crowds coming to start with. I'd like to see more agreements between HAL clubs and rugby sides.
As the NRL rep mentioned:
“The A-League isn’t a player competitor for league as the codes have different core skills and body shapes and a cross over fan base would help both new clubs,” he said.
“A mutual training base just makes good sense on every level, costs are restricted, resources and knowledge can be shared.
This is one reason why I would love to see a Rugby club set up in Adelaide as using these facilities 12 months of the year makes them so much more viable.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

bring back the rams!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 am

bring back the rams!
Yes!
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:12 am

bring back the rams!
Yes!
If they could set up a club that somehow tied into AU. Adelaide United Rugby Club? I'd certainly support that. 99% of the support would revolve around the fact Coopers gets used in the Winter but support is support!
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 pm

bring back the rams!
Yes!
If they could set up a club that somehow tied into AU. Adelaide United Rugby Club? I'd certainly support that. 99% of the support would revolve around the fact Coopers gets used in the Winter but support is support!
Meh.
Do people actually like rugby league that much and want a team or do you just want a team for the sake of having a team, in lets be honest a sport that doesn't have a lot of growth on the cards? Plus you'd be asking for a RL team to exist in Adelaide during the AFL season....
I get the allure of State of Orgin or the Wallabies (I am aware they are two different codes), and I can occasionally sit through the NRL grand final, but our own team seems a bit much.

Back on topic.
In other news, South Coast Wolves are going back to being called Wollongong Wolves and have also adopted a new badge. For me, a Wollongong team would be a great option for a 11th or 12th team in the next round of expansion.
The St George play 4 of their 12 home games in Wollongong. The Illawara region want their own team and not share one with South Sydney. They won't be massive, but surely more successful off field than the Mariners. A great stadium which im sure they have a good deal on atm.

IMO, they have more of a case for expansion than a Logan/south Brisbane team do.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:26 pm

This is where I can't for the life of me understand why the management of the stadium look at investing (or more likely) part investing in a club. All they'll be doing is drumming up business for themselves. Wollongong would be a great addition to the league.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:37 pm

This is where I can't for the life of me understand why the management of the stadium look at investing (or more likely) part investing in a club. All they'll be doing is drumming up business for themselves. Wollongong would be a great addition to the league.
At least as a part owner, that would be good.
They've popped up numerous times during the 10 years of the A-League of intending to bid.
We don't really know why they have failed, but from the looks of it, the community, the local government and the club would support a bid for an A-League team.
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:53 pm

EXPANSION SOUTH KEY TO WHOLE OF FOOTBALL
While Athanasakis rightly insists South Melbourne’s bid for A-League inclusion should be considered solely on the merits of where the club is today, it does seem fitting that Australia’s most successful club should also be the one to unite the sport. If the FFA are genuine about their ‘Whole of Football Plan’ – then South Melbourne have undoubtedly positioned themselves to be the best credentialed candidate for an expanded competition.

Read the rest at http://flatcapsandfalsenines.com/2015/0 ... -football/
Good article. The fact they have been ready on two occasions to buy struggling A-League clubs speaks volumes. They are more ready than any expansion club has ever been to enter the A-League. I liked the last sentence especially. Its time for the FFA to come full circle with football in this country.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm

I really hope this happens they seem perfectly positioned to step up to HAL level. I think this will lay a lot of anger to rest if we can see an old NSL club back in the top flight.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm

They are in one of those key demographic areas that the FFA want, they'll at least bring more to the table as far as tv money goes, seems like the best candidate for them too.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:13 pm

They are in one of those key demographic areas that the FFA want, they'll at least bring more to the table as far as tv money goes, seems like the best candidate for them too.
For sure. IMO the more I think about it the more it seems like a no brainer. SMFC would boost a key market and wouldn't necessarily 'steal' fans away from the current HAL clubs like a start up franchise probably would.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:10 pm

For sure. IMO the more I think about it the more it seems like a no brainer. SMFC would boost a key market and wouldn't necessarily 'steal' fans away from the current HAL clubs like a start up franchise probably would.
They are also financially sound..... a real bonus in the current environment (and a key reason for keeping the 'Nix)
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm

They are also financially sound..... a real bonus in the current environment (and a key reason for keeping the 'Nix)
Speaking of the Nix. I know how a lot of people on 442 feel about New Zealand teams in the A-League. But how do people on here feel about it? Kiwi teams in the A-League yay or nay?

As long as the AFC is cool with us having them, I'm all for Kiwi teams in the league. Hell bring on Auckland if a bid from there makes sense.

Return to “A-Leagues”