HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby blahblah Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:18 am

South Melbourne manager Chris Taylor believes taking the step into the A-League is the “logical choice” for his club when the opportunity presents itself.
http://wof.audio/taylor-a-league-the-lo ... melbourne/

I agree. A club like SMFC would be great for the HAL. They have the runs on the board and consistently get great crowds at NPL level.
I find his comments about the NPL interesting as well.
Before I would have said "no", however now that City and Victory are looking solid I'd say that by 2017 Victoria could handle a 3rd team. Bring back the Fury to provide a 2nd Qld fixture. That still leaves Wollongong/South Sydney & Canberra for further expansion.

Palm Beach Sharks could be an interesting options also.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:20 pm

South Melbourne manager Chris Taylor believes taking the step into the A-League is the “logical choice” for his club when the opportunity presents itself.
http://wof.audio/taylor-a-league-the-lo ... melbourne/

I agree. A club like SMFC would be great for the HAL. They have the runs on the board and consistently get great crowds at NPL level.
I find his comments about the NPL interesting as well.
Before I would have said "no", however now that City and Victory are looking solid I'd say that by 2017 Victoria could handle a 3rd team. Bring back the Fury to provide a 2nd Qld fixture. That still leaves Wollongong/South Sydney & Canberra for further expansion.

Palm Beach Sharks could be an interesting options also.
Yeah I was kinda hoping Palm Beach did well for that reason. Them playing their later games at Robina is a good sign.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue May 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Hurry up with the expansion already.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 12, 2015 6:01 pm

It seems Brisbane is next.

I know i won't get any support on this but id love to see a second Adelaide club asap.

They could play out of an upgraded Marden with a capacity of 10k, if they grow then they move to Hindmarsh. FFA just needs to make concessions to both AUFC and the new club with marketing etc and I'm sure it could work.

We really need another rivalry club, 1 to 2 Victory games a season is just not enough to get people interested
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Tue May 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Yeah rivalries are where it's at.

Even though we can barely hold up one club and it would haemorrhage our own supporter base, it would be damn cool.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Yeah rivalries are where it's at.

Even though we can barely hold up one club and it would haemorrhage our own supporter base, it would be damn cool.
Not sure we would lose many fans if any.

We seem to have a core of 8K rusted on fans who will attend no matter what.

A second Adelaide team would be for all the bitters and those who never got on the AUFC bandwagon, thus playing it at an upgraded Marden would make it viable for 6-7K crowds with a good atmosphere. FFA would need to be willing to nurture it and let grow though.

The majority of those attached to a local Football club don't tend to be keen united fans.

Not all franchise start-ups need a promise of big money and crowd numbers if they can be shown to be viable with a smaller stadium and operating costs. but thats just my oppinion
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue May 12, 2015 7:32 pm

It all depends....would you advocate adel city or west adel back into the a-league? or a whole new identity
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Tue May 12, 2015 8:14 pm

I can't see the value in a second Adelaide team. Yes, there are a lot of people who hate AU because they replaced AC but what these idiots don't remember (deliberately so) is that AC chose to pull out of the NSL in an attempt to get their own way ... and were shocked and horrified when the NSL called their bluff. Those old AC supporters will only accept another AC and that alienates other ethnic groups, essentially the Greeks but the Serbs and their ilk also fall into that group. The current antipathy towards AU, despite claims otherwise, is purely ethnic based and is a symptom of why the NSL died and why the NPL is struggling to survive today. It beggars belief that football can not draw realistic crowds at local level in this state - hell, aussie rules clubs near me, all playing amateur leagues, feature crowds in excess of NSL in it's dying days, let alone current NPL. Although we try to pretend that ethnicity is not an issue, it is. Unless you are the 'right type of wog', you aren't really welcome ... unless you can play the game of course, then it's different. The problem is, these same idiots and ideologies are still sniping at and destroying any support of AU. Worse still, they are destroying any support they may have for their local club. It's not overt but it is so pervasive that people shy away from NPL football. You only have to look at the support that junior football has and compare it with the three men and a dog that attend NPL games (yes, I'm there every weekend, I know what I'm looking at).

AU succeeded because it broke away from the ethnic base of the local leagues. It's hated because it broke away from the local leagues. A second A-league team will suffer the same dramas and I do not believe the haters will accept a second A-league team - some will, but only if they are of the right persuasion, the others will continue to hate.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 am

I feel like that was what Melb Heart's plan was, Victory secured the mainstream fans and I feel people who missed that boat (probably due to being angry the NSL died) just hated on them.
Heart IMO was created to be more of a Euro club and sweep up all those people and bring them together.
As we witnessed that didn't really take place. The only time a decent amount of people got behind Heart was in Melbourne Derbies but 3 big games a season can't sustain a club.

I also doubt a Brisbane side is very close. Talk is that the current Brissy owners are looking to bail out! I'd love to see them give Gold Coast another run but I think that is a long way off.

My tip is another Sydney side probably South. As we've seen with WSW Sydney is just too big a city and too difficult to travel across. So clubs need to be brought to the people otherwise they'll just sit at home and watch it on tv.
After that I really feel the FFA needs to bite the bullet and do one of two things. Either dive into a "regional" area like Tassie or Canberra. Or allow a large NPL side in. South Melbourne, Sydney United or Olympic would probably be the front runners.

As for Adelaide a second club is miles away. Most likely to come if Pro/Rel openned up which we now know is probably at least 20 years off.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed May 13, 2015 1:54 pm

I feel like that was what Melb Heart's plan was, Victory secured the mainstream fans and I feel people who missed that boat (probably due to being angry the NSL died) just hated on them.
Heart IMO was created to be more of a Euro club and sweep up all those people and bring them together.
As we witnessed that didn't really take place. The only time a decent amount of people got behind Heart was in Melbourne Derbies but 3 big games a season can't sustain a club.

I also doubt a Brisbane side is very close. Talk is that the current Brissy owners are looking to bail out! I'd love to see them give Gold Coast another run but I think that is a long way off.

My tip is another Sydney side probably South. As we've seen with WSW Sydney is just too big a city and too difficult to travel across. So clubs need to be brought to the people otherwise they'll just sit at home and watch it on tv.
After that I really feel the FFA needs to bite the bullet and do one of two things. Either dive into a "regional" area like Tassie or Canberra. Or allow a large NPL side in. South Melbourne, Sydney United or Olympic would probably be the front runners.

As for Adelaide a second club is miles away. Most likely to come if Pro/Rel openned up which we now know is probably at least 20 years off.
Imo the difference beweent any new franchise and wsw is that ffa had skin in the game for wsw to succeed. If ffa not involved like that then it would work imo
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue May 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Exactly, after the Fury and Gold Coast folded so quickly, the FFA had their back towards the wall and realised that the introduction to a team in the league has to be guided in perfectly.

If a conpany or wealthy investor wants to help get a team up and running. Great. But someone from the A-League needs to be appointment as a liason to help make sure the new club is slowly ticking off criteria to help them survive for more than a couple seasons.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue May 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Val would be a new Adelaide club's number one fan
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Tue May 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Val would be a new Adelaide club's number one fan
Nah, they won't give it to Adelaide City so he'd find himself having two clubs to hate. Unfortunately, the same reasoning applies to most AU haters in this city.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 pm

It would be good if ADL were to get a second club, for the FFA to reach out to the potential fans for names/colors/kit designs as they did with WSW. Great way to engage with and build a fanbase before a whistle is even blown. Adelaide city may just be what those "other people" want, when the time is right of course.
Spaniard
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djiti

Postby Spaniard Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Anyone in Coober Pedy...this is sooooo funny :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBW-cv6CE8

Return to “A-Leagues”