HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby Stuckey Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

Head of the A-League Greg O’Rourke has confirmed that two new teams will join the A-League from season 2018-19.
http://outside90.com/official-a-league- ... 19-season/

Woohoo! Finally something is happening.
“The FFA doesn’t want potential aspirants to spend time and money putting together a proposal and talking to government in a formal way, until they have a clarity of what is required.

“We have been saying for sometime that any new team in the A-League will need to add value for all existing stakeholders.’’
That makes sense, but why is it taking so long for them to work out what they want? You've got 10 interested parties banging the door down and the FFA still don't even know what they want.
WTF are they doing down at FFA HQ, if its clearly not working out a framework for expansion?

It really does highlight that expansion wasn't on the agenda what so ever until the AFC and FIFA paid them a visit.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Wsw put together in 6 months, why do we need to wait until 2018?

That mean in 2020 we will still only have a 12 team competition no pro/rel.

Progress is fantastic but its coming very slowly for my liking.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:42 am

I hope at least one of them is an "old club".
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:21 am

Wsw put together in 6 months, why do we need to wait until 2018?

That mean in 2020 we will still only have a 12 team competition no pro/rel.

Progress is fantastic but its coming very slowly for my liking.
I think it's unlikely to see another club like WSW come in. That was a gold mine and very well done from the FFA. But that was 4 and a half years ago.
This to me just reeks of micro-management. Ben Buckley did that the 2022 WC bid and the HAL went backwards.
Gallop is doing it now with the TV deal and the game is going backwards again.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 am

I hope at least one of them is an "old club".
If O'Rourke's comment is anything to go by. “We have been saying for sometime that any new team in the A-League will need to add value for all existing stakeholders.’’ Then I can't see SMFC getting a go. As the FFA's most important stakeholder City group will surely not be a huge fan of that.
But if he truly means what he says then hopefully that also means no 2nd clubs in Perth or Adelaide who are both just keeping their heads above water now and would be back on struggle street for certain with a rival club joining.

IMO a South Sydney club seems to be very likely. Lyall Gorman who headed the initial WSW board is based there, plus that area has some of the best player registration numbers in Australia. That area is too disconnected from the City to truly be long term Sydney FC fans. Sydney needs clubs taken to the people.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Head of the A-League Greg O’Rourke has confirmed that two new teams will join the A-League from season 2018-19.
http://outside90.com/official-a-league- ... 19-season/

Woohoo! Finally something is happening.
“The FFA doesn’t want potential aspirants to spend time and money putting together a proposal and talking to government in a formal way, until they have a clarity of what is required.

“We have been saying for sometime that any new team in the A-League will need to add value for all existing stakeholders.’’
That makes sense, but why is it taking so long for them to work out what they want? You've got 10 interested parties banging the door down and the FFA still don't even know what they want.
WTF are they doing down at FFA HQ, if its clearly not working out a framework for expansion?

It really does highlight that expansion wasn't on the agenda what so ever until the AFC and FIFA paid them a visit.
That was a polite middle finger to the bodies trying to get a licence, also a concession that they haven't got a clue or know how to get one.

Far out every time the FFA says anything it makes me even more bitter.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Football Federation Australia has asked TV networks to state their preferred A-League expansion club locations as part of negotiations for what they hope is a bumper new broadcast deal.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -locations
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:24 am

SOCCEROOS greats have called for urgent A-League expansion to unlock the senior bottleneck and fast-track the next generation of stars.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 55161d57a8

I cannot agree more. With such a short NYL and NPL season along with so few opportunities for youth to get decent HAL game time. We're lucky if youth players get more than 20 games a season unless they are lucky enough to not pick up an injury at all.

The FFA wiped the slate clean when the HAL started with meant many of the development pathways had to be re-made. But the HAL has been around for 12 years and they have made little to not effort/effect on development since then. They must pressure state federations to do more to help development in a streamed line approach not allow each federation to work out their own rules which suit the climate they're in. The fact Australian youth sides are now struggling to make it out of the group stage of AFC tournaments is entirely the fault of the FFA and the inaction on this.
Youth development in Australia is little more than a token effort these days.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 am

Absolutely.
Expansion ASAP, and promotion-relegation with a national 2nd division, is necessary. A-League cannot be a closed shop any more.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Absolutely.
Expansion ASAP, and promotion-relegation with a national 2nd division, is necessary. A-League cannot be a closed shop any more.
Personally I see pro/rel as a very expensive alternative for youth development. Obviously it should happen. But I think expanding the NPL season is a much cheaper and simpler option to begin with.
NPL seasons need to be closer to 30 even 40 games per season. After that I think creating a HAL reserve league is important which would just be a NYL. So the NYL season is as long as the HAL season. There will be over lap between NPL and NYL but that just gives more kids a chance at a higher level.
Then I think the next best option following that would be a "2nd Div" with NPL sides and NYL sides. Get that off the ground and a stand alone 2nd Div could be possible. Hopefully by then the HAL have enough sides involved (as I don't think the FFA want a random side being promoted rather they want clubs that come from certain areas). Then the possibility of pro/rel is a chance. Although I'm certain the FFA doesn't want it.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm

For football fans pushing for a second division and promotion/relegation. Be careful what you wish for. A good read about the difficulties experienced by second tier competitions in England. Although it is primarily about Rugby there are parallels with Football in Australia:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-he ... ague-union
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:43 pm

FFA chiefs are delaying progress on A-League expansion and W-League reform as they grapple with governance issues that threaten to consume the sport.

In a blow to expansion hopefuls, there is little prospect of FFA circulating the criteria for admission to the league by the end of February as promised.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... w#comments

This is starting to smell very similar to the FFA under Buckley where the FFA were 100% focused on the WC bid and the HAL got very stale.
A result of that was to throw two new clubs into the HAL that only managed 5 seasons between them. Which with hindsight was a very reactionary move.

I can't for the life of me understand why the FFA can't work out a list of criteria for bidders to meet then they can all get working on aiming to meet that criteria. Its clear there is interest. Foxtel harp on about the need for it non-stop which highlights their agenda.
The FFA are literally the only people in the game it appears that aren't dead set keen on more clubs.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:18 pm

If the FFA needed evidence the HAL has gotten stale.
Round 19's total attendance of 38,651 is the lowest round total since the A-League became the current 10 team competition.
It's looking them dead in the eyes.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Is there a reason why the FFA are so slow/against expansion? There seems to be so many teams putting their hand up and are ready take the step up. Every fan and pundit want it, it seems.

Obviously you can't just add 4 teams immediately and expect instant fanbase and stability. I think 2 teams every 2 seasons with at least 12 months notice would work.

I dont think we are ready for pro/rel yet, but that can only change with expansion. Once we get to 20 teams then split the league or something.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

Confusion around the release of an A-League expansion criteria, which FFA announced would be unveiled this month, has not deterred Geelong-based Victoria Patriots from releasing an advisory board.

Former Etihad Stadium and Wembley chief Paul Sergeant headlines a soccer-savvy group, which includes local soccer identities Joanne Plummer and Maurice Bisetto, who join former Socceroo Steve Horvat as the faces of the bid.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/footb ... e5b22b8d2e

This would be a wonderful bid.
Although the FFA seemingly can't deal with more than one big issue at a time so I think this might be put on the backburner till the HAL control is sorted.
Although I'm not to crash hot on the name.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”