HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby Stuckey Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I would be. It wouldn't surprise me (unless something changes) that the FFA want start up clubs coming in not pre-existing NSL club
They may go for a new club that is owned/backed by an ex-NSL club, similar to the Port Power scenario.
I think that would at least be a decent compromise from both parties. Although personally I'd much rather see old clubs come in as they are.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 pm

If they're going to go down the franchise route then they need to do what they did with WSW.

Entirely community developed (name, badge, colours etc.).

Worked an absolute treat.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Easier and cheaper to bring in NPL clubs with existing support bases and revenue streams, especially their own stadiums.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 pm

It was reported that the FFA are trying to secure a $100m per year tv deal for 5 years. If that can happen then hallelujah the A-League might see some more stable times for its existing clubs and to see some new ones come in!

I think South Melbourne have grown as much as an NPL club can possibly do. Idk of any other state based side that has had the sustained support and success off the field. I reckon they'd be good for the A-League if we're talking about including them in the next 5 years. Same goes for Wollongong and Canberra.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:39 am

It was reported that the FFA are trying to secure a $100m per year tv deal for 5 years. If that can happen then hallelujah the A-League might see some more stable times for its existing clubs and to see some new ones come in!

I think South Melbourne have grown as much as an NPL club can possibly do. Idk of any other state based side that has had the sustained support and success off the field. I reckon they'd be good for the A-League if we're talking about including them in the next 5 years. Same goes for Wollongong and Canberra.
I just fear where that money is going to go. Undoubtedly the PFA will have their hand out. I'd love to see very little of this money go towards existing HAL clubs. AU have shown with a very low revenue stream sustainability is achievable.
Put a significant amount of the supposed increase into developing the NPL and work towards that becoming a league of it's own and then look at opening up promotion to the HAL from their. 10 years of one team getting promoted each year then look at relegation.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:21 am

Fans wanting a 12-team competition could have their wish granted "sooner rather than later" but those clamouring for promotion and relegation that would put Australian football in line with most countries in the world will have to wait indefinitely ... and that's coming from the horse's mouth.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... relegation

I reckon a South Sydney team and another from an area of actual demand (Canberra, SE QLD or another Melbourne club) and that's going to be it for quite some time.
Time to Djbate!
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Its been mentioned before but 12 teams will either mean a 22 game season or a 33 game season and plus finals. I don't think either of those is ideal foe longer than 1 season.

14 teams can give us a 26 game season plus finals. This will give all teams an even amount of home games (something we don't have now) and it won't force the teams to play mid week games or move the start and end time of the league.

Wollongong, Canberra and 2 big population teams (South Melbourne, 3rd Sydney, 2nd Brisbane or Auckland) would be ideal i think.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Its been mentioned before but 12 teams will either mean a 22 game season or a 33 game season and plus finals. I don't think either of those is ideal foe longer than 1 season.

14 teams can give us a 26 game season plus finals. This will give all teams an even amount of home games (something we don't have now) and it won't force the teams to play mid week games or move the start and end time of the league.

Wollongong, Canberra and 2 big population teams (South Melbourne, 3rd Sydney, 2nd Brisbane or Auckland) would be ideal i think.
I'd be more than happy with a 33 games season. 27 is far too short. In reality its only 3 weeks either side of the season. Less if they decide to include mid-week rounds which I'd love to see over the holiday period. Chock that part of the year full of games! A more condensed season means there is more chances for young kids to be offered a chance to make the big time as well.
Time to Djbate!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 am

EDIT: This tweet and EOI of an "A2 League" is brilliant.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:28 am

EDIT: This tweet and EOI of an "A2 League" is brilliant.
As long as a TV station/s can fund it. It'll happen. That's what it comes down to.
Considering the NPL has nothing more than a poorly promoted live stream. It's hard to see this being likely for some time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Time to Djbate!
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:12 am

I think the way the EOI has structured the introduction of expansion teams, a national second division plus gradual inclusion of pro/rel is what makes it an attractive model.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:41 pm

I think the way the EOI has structured the introduction of expansion teams, a national second division plus gradual inclusion of pro/rel is what makes it an attractive model.
That's true.

Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Miron bleiberg saying there isna group ready to create a second brisbane club. Not sire what i think if that
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 pm

I reckon if somehow Brisbane had a stadium like AAMI park in Melbourne it would work.

Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Foxtel ratings up big time. Last year only 5 games got over 100k ratings. This year 7 of the 15 have broken 100k. Sbs ratings up 37%. Crowds up 12%.

Return to “A-Leagues”