HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby sevengoals Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 am

Another view on things ...
The National Premier League NSW is about to embark on a significant growth in 2019.

Football NSW recently announced “a landmark broadcast schedule for the NPL”, where fans would “see an astonishing 445 matches broadcast, live and free across various platforms in 2019.”

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/09/w ... -a-league/

Fair enough.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 am

There seems to be a lot of positivism coming from the 2nd tier of the game. IMO this has been required for a long time. It's all well and good for that level to demand change and inclusion, but until lately the level appeared very amateur and I'm sure there is a lot of people in power that would require convincing they can sustain a professional model. The changes coming in the NSW and the very ambitious news that FFV are aiming to build their own boutique stadia certainly highlights that they are working towards a more professional model. The facility at Kilburn suggests West Adelaide are heading in the right direction as well.
I think the saying "You've got to walk before you can run" is accurate is this scenario and I believe some parts of the game at that level are really finding their feet.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

loving the momentum at NPL level. Especially with ex a league foreigners playing here now
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 am

loving the momentum at NPL level. Especially with ex a league foreigners playing here now

When Flores joined Juve and Carrusca donned the blue and white stripes of Hellas I was straight back into it!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am

On HAL expansion, it seems rather likely that the NT isn't going to be getting a side in either the HAL or a second tier anytime soon. Should AUFC be investing more time in promoting itself as a club that the NT can follow given the history between NT and SA? Perhaps with an expanded league and more games we could move one fixture a year to Darwin.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Looks like we will have a club from Canberra and another from Auckland in 24/25. Very logical choices and probably should have been in the last expansion round.

The next two regions for teams in 25/26 are yet to be decided, though my money is on SE Qld and Perth.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/i ... 1fbf942d4e
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:34 am

I think it's time Tasmania had a team.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:06 am

B)
They are certainly an emotional favourite. Whether the investors are there to make it happen is a question, however the Tasmanian NBL side has proven professional teams in Tasmania can work.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: HAL Expansion

Postby EdDog Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 pm

B)
They are certainly an emotional favourite. Whether the investors are there to make it happen is a question, however the Tasmanian NBL side has proven professional teams in Tasmania can work.
WU and MAC have been unmitigated disasters.

Can't imagine Tassie being any worse.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:55 am

WU and MAC have been unmitigated disasters.
Makes me feel sorry for the Fury. Less so for Gold Coast (well, Clive Palmer to be accurate), though a club in that region is almost a given for 24/25.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:28 am

The problem is the plastic teams - Western United and Macarthur - and their lack of history or established support. As they have been created out of nothing, there is no local allegiance to give a reliable core support group. Moreover, their stadiums are terrible, so there is no atmosphere to bring in new punters. The only obvious places to bring in new teams are the major population centres - Canberra and Auckland. Auckland City is an established club with a large following, plus it immediately creates an NZ derby with Wellington, which the APL (read: telecasters) loves. Canberra could be trickier, as Canberrans don't support their local teams, whatever the sport. Maybe an ALM side will convince Canberrans to start going to sporting events. Their women's team is lucky to get 200 punters through the gate.

Hobart, Darwin and Townsville will be much more difficult to establish teams in. Each has a population of ~ 80,000. If the accepted metric is that 1% of a city's population will reliably support a football club (ie. by becoming members), then that means a membership base of maybe 800, which is nowhere near enough to be sustainable. The other problem for those 3 cities is the lack of large corporate sponsors. It's the big firms that pour the really big money into a team, whether the sport is AFL, NRL, netball, football or whatever. Without a large population base or large corporate sponsors, then any team based in those 3 will probably not even get off the ground, let alone thrive.

The Gold Coast, with a population ~ 450,000, would be close to viable, except that GC people don't support their sports teams. The Gold Coast is where sports franchises go to die. If Clive Palmer cannot make a go of a football club there, then noone will touch it.

So I think that the only viable new club locations are Canberra and Auckland - and even Canberra is questionable. After those two ... it gets much, much more difficult to find a viable population base.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:15 pm

I dont want another Melbourne or Sydney team now but Macarthur should have been Woolongong Wolves and WU should have been South Melbourne.

Creating teams out of thin air rather than promoting teams with a built in following, youth setup, training facilities etc.

Thanks fox sports for choosing the expansion teams after a phony bid process and then removing all your funding from Australian football the following year.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Wollongong Wolves (population 220,000) would still be a good option for the next round.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 pm

Won't the Macarthur hierarchy stop a promoted Wollongong team stone cold dead? They won't want their backyard eaten up by a rival side on their own patch. BP was dead right - it should have been the Wollongong Wolves from the start, instead of creating a plastic team (Macarthur) and then somehow expecting an immediate identity and large local following to appear out of thin air. Huge mistake.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:00 pm

Won't the Macarthur hierarchy stop a promoted Wollongong team stone cold dead? They won't want their backyard eaten up by a rival side on their own patch. BP was dead right - it should have been the Wollongong Wolves from the start, instead of creating a plastic team (Macarthur) and then somehow expecting an immediate identity and large local following to appear out of thin air. Huge mistake.
They should move the licence.

Return to “A-Leagues”