Melbourne city, end of the salary cap ??

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Melbourne city, end of the salary cap ??

Postby Stuckey Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:15 pm

All these concerns about the big clubs with big players and big wallets makes be think of but one word..................."Bunyodkor"
Haha exactly! Look at the history of the HAL. Besides Dwight Yorke who out of the big name/money marquees have won anything?
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm

I think we need to give our league some credit. It's a very physically strong league and fitness is world glass. No one in their twilight has really come here and tore it up more than anyone else.

Villa probably will as he's still a top player but I don't know if Duff will be that dominant.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 pm

I dont think the argument that no other teams with standout marquees have really dominated in the A-league is really valid here.

Melbourne City could realistically have Villa 10 games , Lampard (loan from NYRB at minimal wage), Duff ( inside the cap_ , Bresciano and Kennedy as marquees. with quite a bit of salary cap left over.

Realistically i do not think they will have all those names in their squad but the fact that it is possible is both worrying and freaking awesome.

The point i was trying to make in my original post was that if City can take the back door around the salary cap like this then it is doing the exact opposite of what a salary cap is designed for.

At the end of the day its great news for the big city clubs.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 pm

I dont think the argument that no other teams with standout marquees have really dominated in the A-league is really valid here.

Melbourne City could realistically have Villa 10 games , Lampard (loan from NYRB at minimal wage), Duff ( inside the cap_ , Bresciano and Kennedy as marquees. with quite a bit of salary cap left over.

Realistically i do not think they will have all those names in their squad but the fact that it is possible is both worrying and freaking awesome.

The point i was trying to make in my original post was that if City can take the back door around the salary cap like this then it is doing the exact opposite of what a salary cap is designed for.

At the end of the day its great news for the big city clubs.
That's true they certainly are going about it differently. I wonder if the Bakrie's would considering doing something similar with brissy since they have control of a number of other clubs.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”