All 3 Sydney derbies to be played at ANZ

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

All 3 Sydney derbies to be played at ANZ

Postby Stuckey Thu May 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Not sure how it will work exactly.

Its a bit of a gamble.
They can get 40k to Sydney home games so I guess they think they can go better.

I reckon play one game there instead.
One at Allianz, one at Pirtek and one at ANZ that would be fairer and be more likely to keep all happy as well as creating more of an occasion for the ANZ game.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: All 3 Sydney derbies to be played at ANZ

Postby ZANZIBAR Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 pm

hmmmmm...I tend to agree stuckey. surely that feeling of playing big games at home (pirtek and Allianz) is what makes it so special. is this a definite?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri May 02, 2014 8:16 am

We all saw what happened with the MV v SYD semi at Etihad. Pulled a meagre 20k. Perfect for AAMI.

Point being that sometimes the bigger the stadium doesn't mean the bigger the crowd necessarily.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri May 02, 2014 12:04 pm

A poor decision in my mind. One game perhaps, however there should really be a chance for each side to host at their home ground at least once.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri May 02, 2014 1:17 pm

If they can sell it out or close to each time, then I'm all for it. But playing in a half empty stadium to fit in a few thousand more fans in would ruin the atmosphere.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Imo they would only take a risk like this if they were aware of definite marquee signings.

FFA pay for most of sydneys marquee wage anyway
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat May 03, 2014 10:36 am

Imo they would only take a risk like this if they were aware of definite marquee signings.

hope there are some big names coming but is that true that FFA still pay for them, or some of their wage? how can that be fair? i'm glad to have big names but I would never expect to see help for AUFC or Glory
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat May 03, 2014 10:43 am

It depends on the marquee. But the FFA have said that if the marquee is big enough to warrant their financial support.
But I can't see a club like AU or CCM getting a big name like MV or SFC could in the first place to be able to gain the funding from FFA.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat May 03, 2014 1:31 pm

hope there are some big names coming but is that true that FFA still pay for them, or some of their wage? how can that be fair? i'm glad to have big names but I would never expect to see help for AUFC or Glory
Sure is

Ffa supplement big marquees they are interested in. Aufc would not get a look in
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat May 03, 2014 8:36 pm

The marquees are irrelevant really. Both clubs have sufficient support.

It's a good decision but a highly risky one. They could improve the crowd but still ruin the spectacle (leading to lower crowds in the future) as the olympic stadium can be incredibly dull unless it's absolutely packed.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat May 03, 2014 9:18 pm

The marquees are irrelevant really. Both clubs have sufficient support.

It's a good decision but a highly risky one. They could improve the crowd but still ruin the spectacle (leading to lower crowds in the future) as the olympic stadium can be incredibly dull unless it's absolutely packed.
Im not 100% sure on either clubs support just yet.

SFC fans turn up for big names sometimes for games when they are playing well.

Wanderers fabs for me still have not proven anything just yet. They are still in the honeymoon period . How they will react to an inevitable poor season and watching the players they identify with leave the club and possibly play against them is another story.

They will also have new owners who will unlikely be as happy to pour buckets of cash into the club as ffa have.

I agree its a big risk, the sydney clubs to me are fickle and it could go pear shaped quickly.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 am

Even if both clubs hit rock bottom form-wise I still think you could count on 25k per team to this game, making a 50k crowd. Which is greater than the capacity at the SFS, so even then it would be worth thinking about at least.

I doubt numbers will drop below that floor. non-West Sydney is large enough to scrape together that many at any time and West Sydney have caught Crows-Syndrome, so at worst the derby will be the one game the members show up to even if they don't go to any others.

I don't think the move to the Olympic stadium for derbies for at least one game, even a whole season, is that controversial or risky. The debate will be whether to make the move back to the club home grounds if crowds stick in the 40-55k range.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun May 04, 2014 11:01 am

Yeah I reckon if they get more then Allianz can hold then the decision has justified itself. I've been to ANZ when 60k there and the atmosphere was pretty good.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun May 04, 2014 12:25 pm

I think it's a move or risk that needs to be explored, if it fails revert back, if it succeeds it will be even more epic of a derby.
another day I didn't see coming 10 years ago, here we are discussing if a move to a bigger stadium will pay off when I used to dream of 10k at hindmarsh game
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun May 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I think it's a move or risk that needs to be explored, if it fails revert back, if it succeeds it will be even more epic of a derby.
another day I didn't see coming 10 years ago, here we are discussing if a move to a bigger stadium will pay off when I used to dream of 10k at hindmarsh game
Absolutely. I have to laugh when people come out and say a 2nd division will never happen when the game has jumped so far in just 10 years. Who knows where we'll be in another 10 years!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”