FFA changing the marquee rule

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

FFA changing the marquee rule

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Apparently the FFA are planning on changing the Australian marquee to a regular marquee allowing clubs to sign an international player.

Personally not a huge fan of this.
I would much rather see HAL clubs use the Aussie marquee spot to lure players like Langerak, Amini or Rogic back to the HAL as they aren't getting first XI game time for the club they originally signed for.
Either that or increase the incentives to keep budding young stars in the league longer. Then allow these stars to leave once they are at the top of the league not just show great signs of potential.
I wonder if the FFA were able to throw so money at a player like Burns or Leckie when they were close to leaving they would have stuck around for a season or two longer and developed in an environment that they are already excelling at, and where they are getting first XI football over sitting on the reserves bench?

I think maybe the FFA should look at the NBA marquee model.
Set a salary cap and any money that is spent over that amount the club pays a 100% fine for that goes to the league to spend on game development etc.
I think this would at least force clubs like Sydney to put money into youth development finally!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Re: FFA changing the marquee rule

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:30 am

To be fair, apart from Tim Cahill what other aussie represents true marquee status ? The golden generation is all but over . IMO wise move.

It would piss me off however to find out the rule was changed to accomodate mv or another big club. Hell conspiracy theorists could say this is part due to man city taking heart.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:47 am

To be fair, apart from Tim Cahill what other aussie represents true marquee status ? The golden generation is all but over . IMO wise move.

It would piss me off however to find out the rule was changed to accomodate mv or another big club. Hell conspiracy theorists could say this is part due to man city taking heart.
Considering the rule was created to allow MV to sign Harry I wouldn't be surprised.

There isn't a massive amount of players to bring home but that's why I would rather see the money be put into trying to keep the next Burns or Rogic in the league longer and stopping them leaving prematurely.
Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 am

Considering the rule was created to allow MV to sign Harry I wouldn't be surprised.
Noooo. Australian marquee was brought in well before Harry came to Australia. May have been for Emerton though? Not sure.

Either way I think it was a good idea at the time.

Look at the current Australian marquees though:

Matt McKay, David Williams, Archie Thompson and Shane Smeltz. Are any of them really justifiable?

Smeltz back when he signed on for Perth, yes. Thompson definitely not. Williams and McKay? Dunno.

My thoughts would be that an Australian marquee should be a guy that is playing beneath his level by staying here - hence we need to be able to pay them more money to keep them.
#WeAreUnited
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 am

Noooo. Australian marquee was brought in well before Harry came to Australia. May have been for Emerton though? Not sure.

Either way I think it was a good idea at the time.

Look at the current Australian marquees though:

Matt McKay, David Williams, Archie Thompson and Shane Smeltz. Are any of them really justifiable?

Smeltz back when he signed on for Perth, yes. Thompson definitely not. Williams and McKay? Dunno.

My thoughts would be that an Australian marquee should be a guy that is playing beneath his level by staying here - hence we need to be able to pay them more money to keep them.
Yeah that's what I'm getting at. I would say players like Williams and McKay are good Aussie marquees as they would probably head to Asia if they weren't.
I would love to see the Aussie marquee used to lure players like Vidosic or Langerak back who are playing a league fairly comparable to ours or are just not getting the game time their development requires.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 pm

The aus marquee rule appeared when perth wanted robbie fowler but already had mile sterjovski as marquee. Suddenly the rule changed like magic
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 am

When we can afford a marquee I'll take notice. Until then it will remain a handy tool to keep players like Carrusca in the squad.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah it is sort of like reading that there is 10% off Ferrari's this week in the newspaper!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”