Crowds

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Crowds

Postby Stuckey Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 am

So far everything is looking great this season. Only Perth, Newcastle and Wellington aren't averaging their best ever. Season average for the whole league is over 18,000. Which is better then both the last Big Bash and NRL season average. Also we're not far behind Super Rugby's last season of just over 20,000 (but I doubt Australian crowds were that high). AFL is far beyond that with 33,000.

Only thing that worries me is we've already had a PissTard clash, Melbourne and Sydney derby.

Did I read somewhere though that the FFA are considering moving the WSW home derby to ANZ stadium? Or was that just if they make the GF?

Regardless of the rest of the season this is a fantastic start!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Re: Crowds

Postby Stuckey Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 am

Football Federation Australia is considering shifting the A-League Sydney derbies to a bigger venue next season and has already booked ANZ Stadium should the cross-town rivals meet in this campaign's grand final.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/117 ... ved-to-ANZ

I'm liking the proactiveity here. It's a big jump from 20,000 to 80,000 but I guess what better game to give it ago. If it works out hopefully it gets Melbourne's goat up and the Tard's Heart game is looked at maybe being moved to the MCG if they start selling out Etihad which they almost did this season.
The Wanderers will be able to better cater for a burgeoning fan base from next season with Pirtek Stadium to undergo expansion which will increase capacity by 4000 seats.

The club are also exploring the possibility of installing of German-style "rail seating", widely used in the Bundesliga, to allow safe standing areas as part of the overall stadium upgrade
Interesting. I wonder if they would be able to fit more in that way? If so maybe this could be something for Coopers to look at as well?
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 pm

I can't see Hindmarsh getting an expansion when our biggest crowd was our last home game and there were still empty seats.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm

I can't see Hindmarsh getting an expansion when our biggest crowd was our last home game and there were still empty seats.
This obviously isn't something that's required soon but it's food for thought.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm

16,500 is just right for us. It is a similar sized stadium to Getafe and Rayo Vellacano in La Liga.

The key for us is the use of Adelaide Oval if we obtain the hosting rights for the Grand Final. I don't like us playing at Adelaide Oval however it is far preferable to playing in Melbourne or Sydney.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:43 pm

The empty seats were because some people prefer to stand in the walkways.

If we can consistently get over 14k to games then i think there is an argument for expansion.

There is a quote somewhere that crowds will only grow to 70% average of a stadiums capacity because people just do not want to be on top of each other

Take the game at adelaide oval for example if they were held at Hindmarsh they likely would not have been a sell out. Play it in a bigger stadium like adelaide oval ( despite the shitty view ) and your looking at 24k.

The club has much to prove first before it has a decent argument for an upgrade though
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:58 pm

If we can consistently get over 14k to games then i think there is an argument for expansion.
I seem to recall this figure being the one bandied about by the SA Gvt a few years back when the topic of expanding Hindmarsh was raised.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:29 pm

the government just blew half a billion on adelaide oval with lots of complaints from the people, no way would the average aussie let an efnik sokkah team have their stadium expanded at true aussie tax payers cost!
let go of the idea of state government pumping big bucks into the game, they turned their back on the asian cup!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I wouldn't advocate for an expansion of Hindmarsh, as such.

Give it a roof and fill in the corners. Upgrade facilities and infrastructure too, of course.

There isn't much else that can be done with the footprint of the site, unless Holden Street is halved.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I wouldn't advocate for an expansion of Hindmarsh, as such.

Give it a roof and fill in the corners. Upgrade facilities and infrastructure too, of course.

There isn't much else that can be done with the footprint of the site, unless Holden Street is halved.
Yep filling in the corners is all we can really ask for IMO and in all honesty if time ever came that even more seats were needed then a second Adelaide team would be a better idea.

Just imagine Hindmarsh with the corners filled in, would have to be one of the most intimidating stadium to play in front of a packed fanatical crowd due to the stands practically being on top of the pitch.

DROOOOOOOOOOL!!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:25 pm

The empty seats were because some people prefer to stand in the walkways.

There is a quote somewhere that crowds will only grow to 70% average of a stadiums capacity because people just do not want to be on top of each other

Take the game at adelaide oval for example if they were held at Hindmarsh they likely would not have been a sell out. Play it in a bigger stadium like adelaide oval ( despite the shitty view ) and your looking at 24k.

The club has much to prove first before it has a decent argument for an upgrade though
I think it closer to 80% and I feel this is an Adelaideism. Footy Park holds 54,000 and even for finals would struggle to get over 48,000. It's true what you say though. If Coopers held 20,000 we'd probably get closer to 15,000 more often.
That's why I was wondering about the standing terrace. Would that hold more?
Time to Djbate!
Reds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Booooooogard

Postby Reds Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Coopers Stadium can't have all the corners filled in due to the limited land it is on, just would not get the approval. Two of the corners down the southern end only.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Wonderful. Adelaide is thinking about bidding for the Commonwealth Games. This will do no end of good to the city. We need decent reasons to upgrade infrastructure and what better reason then hosting a major international event. Transport, sport facilities, accommodation and inner city housing will all get a much needed revamp.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6751638354
With Rugby 7s being a sport in the games hopefully Coopers will be an option for it to be played there. I think in 17 years Coopers will be in dire need of a revamp and hopefully an expansion of sorts. Otherwise maybe a new rectangular venue could be built for it? I feel this could be a fantastic long term goal to work towards!
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Coopers Stadium can't have all the corners filled in due to the limited land it is on, just would not get the approval. Two of the corners down the southern end only.
It is possible however the need to have the traffic flowing under parts of the stadium in Manton Street would make it very expensive.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 am

It can definitely be done (see the Gabba in Brisbane), but cost/benefit would not be worth it. And we don't need it. If we can get a few sellout games a year like the Melbourne match (it was 16.5k - that is 97% of capacity for those playing at home, compared to WSW's 'sellout' of 79% stadium capacity on the weekend) and pull 12k or so to the other games, then we're doing very well.
Adelaide Oval is there for a Grand Final, Socceroos & big exhibition games (if any of these ever actually occur).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “A-Leagues”