A-League becoming new English Premier League

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

A-League becoming new English Premier League

Postby Stuckey Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 am

THE A-League has become the new English Premier League, with two more of the Young Socceroos' overseas-based players contemplating a return home.

Fulham's Ryan Williams and Celtic's Jackson Irvine all lavished praise on the A-League and believe it could help them make their European dreams become a reality.

And last night fellow Young Socceroo Jamie Maclaren, who recently parted company with Blackburn Rovers after two years on their books, was revealed as a Perth Glory signing
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/a-l ... 6672847871

Alright the title is laughable but it does raise an interesting point. Maybe the FFA have been smarter then I have given them credit for with their plan with playing a majority of HAL players in the youth squads. I think this is starting to send a message to kids that maybe heading overseas at the first offer they get may not be the best move for them?
It seems if you want to make the squad of youth teams that go to youth world cups you need to stay home and play with HAL clubs. This IMO is a good thing generally but obviously not in every situation.
I think encouraging kids with talent to stay with their HAL clubs definitely has its benefits with these kids staying home with family in an environment they are obviously already succeeding in. It benefits HAL clubs with developing youth talent which is a great draw card for crowds, IMO I was more interested going to AU games to see our kids blossom over when AU broke the bank to get Romario here. It also can benefit both parties if the juniors continue to develop with these kids being able to demand high wages from their HAL clubs. If these kids develop the HAL clubs can benefit with hopefully higher transfer fee offer later on for these kids with can then in turn go towards either developing the next star or if we have a quality youth development system in place the money can go to keeping the next 18 yo star we have who is getting an offer from abroard at home a little longer.
As we have now seen with Japanese players now as well being able to hold on to their youth stars longer also benefits the players development. They are able to stay home longer. Which means instead of doing a Leckie or Burns and going to a European club to sit on a bench or get loaned out. These players are being signed as starting XI or players that are getting a look in with first XI selection.

So if that is the plan of the FFA I say well played and I hope we see more of Australia's youth talent either returning home or sticking around for a bit longer then the generation before them.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: A-League becoming new English Premier League

Postby blahblah Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Certainly I believe you need to be playing to develop, and the Youth League offers that. I can understand it a bit more from young players who have been overlooked and picked up by a foreign club directly from the state leagues.

Return to “A-Leagues”