Spain's 'big two' clubs to tour Oz?

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Spain's 'big two' clubs to tour Oz?

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 am

New FFA CEO David Gallop responds to your questions on the Socceroos, Holger, A-League expansion, promotion and relegation, player registrations fees and much more.

And he's bullish about the future, saying, "We'll be in a position to significantly increase our TV rights next time around" and he hinted at potential tours by the big two in Spain.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/269009,c ... vival.aspx

Very exciting if true! Surely it wouldn't be till the off season after this as if it was this off season it would be announced already.
Time to Djbate!
double07
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Re: Spain's 'big two' clubs to tour Oz?

Postby double07 Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 am

Wouldn't it be awesome to get them out here at the same time and have a 3 team tournament (A-League All Stars, Barca, RM) with the culmination being an El Clasico on Australian soil.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Forget Man U & Liverpool if Barca come to town.

What's the attraction of a tour in Oz though, really? I'd suggest the big two in Spain's time would be better spent in Japan, Korea etc.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 am

Forget Man U & Liverpool if Barca come to town.

What's the attraction of a tour in Oz though, really? I'd suggest the big two in Spain's time would be better spent in Japan, Korea etc.
Probably but I'dsay the appearance fee helps convince them!

This gother me thinking.
IMO this is through perfect way for football to fight back during the winter months when Rugby and AFL grab all the headlines. There is no way a reporter can sit there and bag out two of the best clubs in the world and keep their credibility in tack.
Plus there are no local HAL matches on for reporters to pick on either. Its win win for football in this country and the other codes can do sweet FA about it!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 am

Wonder if Adelaide would ever get a slice of this sort of action. Every other A-League city has seen touring o/s teams...

Barca are the only foreign club that I would consider traveling interstate to see. Seeing Messi play in the flesh would be something to tell your grandkids, he's the Pele or Maradona for this generation.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Old Gregg you need a willing government to pay for them to come. Our government didn't even pay for the AFC 2015.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Play hardball!

Have them playing during the AFL Quarter and Semi finals :D
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Wonder if Adelaide would ever get a slice of this sort of action. Every other A-League city has seen touring o/s teams...

Barca are the only foreign club that I would consider traveling interstate to see. Seeing Messi play in the flesh would be something to tell your grandkids, he's the Pele or Maradona for this generation.
When you see him get a video of him scoring like I did but don't let you missus delete it like I did!
Old Gregg you need a willing government to pay for them to come. Our government didn't even pay for the AFC 2015.
I think either AUFC would probably have to pay for it unless private companies are willing too. I hear AON have a fair bit to do with Man Utd coming over. I would be a cold day in hell before our government gains the vision or understanding to chip in for something like that before an eastern state does.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

All comes down to money. WA and Qld are flush with minerals revenue, NSW and Vic have the big cities and the population base. The SA government on the other hand has far more modest resources, and a constituency that howls with outrage whenever the sacred 'taxpayers money' gets spent on anything that isn't 100% essential (and even sometimes when money gets spent on things that are essential).
It would be political poison to hand Man U, Barca, Liverpool etc a million bucks to play a game here so I can't blame them for not jumping on board, you'd need private enterprise to foot the bill. Would be nice though.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

All comes down to money. WA and Qld are flush with minerals revenue, NSW and Vic have the big cities and the population base. The SA government on the other hand has far more modest resources, and a constituency that howls with outrage whenever the sacred 'taxpayers money' gets spent on anything that isn't 100% essential (and even sometimes when money gets spent on things that are essential).
It would be political poison to hand Man U, Barca, Liverpool etc a million bucks to play a game here so I can't blame them for not jumping on board, you'd need private enterprise to foot the bill. Would be nice though.
Yep lets face it, we are still arguing over building a foot bridge to adelaide oval while other cities are much more forward thinking and are not scared of the future.

Problem is far to many people here think it is still the 1960's, unfortunately these people also vote.

While we debate over if something is even worth debating other cities around the world have finished 20 projects and are starting another 20 .

gotta love adelaide!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Although I love Adelaide with all my heart this is why I had to get out of there. Its such a great city but if it just open its eyes once in a while and took notice of the amazing things that are taking place around the world. Some are simple to implement some harder.
Besides things game are apparently a sure thing as far as making money back on. A correctly priced and marketed event involving any massive club like these would be sure to sell out offering returns on investment. The only problem Adelaide has is where to play it. And before you say no"oh Barca wouldn't come to Adelaide they played a mid table Scottish premier league club last off season in Scotland. So they go everywhere.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”