MLS senior executive joins a-league as general manager

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

ganas
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

MLS senior executive joins a-league as general manager

Postby ganas Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

i know it is not really Adelaide related, but thought this deserves its own thread. mods if you want to move it, please do.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/new ... ions/60638
Russell Sargeant named new Hyundai A-League General Manager of Operations

Tuesday, 12 February 2013 10:20 AM

Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced that Major League Soccer (MLS) senior executive Russell Sargeant will join the Hyundai A-League as General Manager, Operations.

Reporting to Head of Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun, Sargeant will lead the FFA League Operations team, managing Hyundai A-League competition administration and services.

Sargeant brings a wealth of experience to the role after holding key positions in MLS (2005-2013), San Jose Earthquakes (2003-2005) and international sports administration and marketing.

Currently a Senior Director with MLS and Soccer United Marketing, Sargeant will return to his home country Australia following a 12 year stint in the US working in professional sport.

“We welcome Russell to the team and look forward to taking advantage of his wealth of experience in sports marketing and administration with MLS,” FFA CEO David Gallop said.

“FFA is in a phase of detailed implementation of its strategic plan for the A-League. The recruitment of an executive who has been successful in both implementing strategy and building football in a nation with similar characteristics as Australia is another forward step in our growth story.”

Kathy Carter, President of Soccer United Marketing, MLS’ commercial arm, attested to Sargeant’s positive impact on the growth football.

“During more than a decade of commitment to MLS and our commercial arm Soccer United Marketing, Russell has played an instrumental role in the growth of Major League Soccer and the sport of football in the United States and Canada,” Carter said.

“His combination of vision, relationship management skills, and passion for our sport make Russell a valuable asset to any growing football property. While we are sorry to see him leave our organisation, I am confident that Russell will have an incredibly positive impact on the A-League and the growth of football in Australia.”

Sargeant, a former Manly junior football player, thanked FFA for the opportunity to return to Australia to continue working in the sport closest to his heart.

“I’d like to thank David, Damien, and the entire management team at FFA for the opportunity to join the Hyundai A-League at such an exciting time in the league’s development,” Sargeant said.

“I look forward to working with that team, with all of the A-League clubs, and with the entire football community to ensure that the Hyundai A-League continues to plays its critical role in establishing Australia as a world-class football nation.”

Sargeant will commence his role as General Manager, Hyundai A-League Operations in March.
This is an excellent move IMHO. the MLS has built fantastically over the years and its great to bring some of that expertise here to the a-league!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: MLS senior executive joins a-league as general manager

Postby Old Gregg Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Sounds like a pretty good appointment, A-League has a lot to learn from the MLS experience.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Shane

Postby Shane Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Club should be picking this gentlemen's brains immediately.
Shano. Red to the core.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Good to see what some of us have been banging on for years about is finally happening - now to get Peter fucking (sorry) Wilt over here to teach our clubs how to create a club administration culture that is all about growing the club.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Fantastic news. I don't know why the FFA were so hell bent on making the same mistakes the MLS did in a market similar to their's in so many ways. Well done FFA. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction with Gallop now in charge.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”