New TV deal what do you want?

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: New TV deal what do you want?

Postby bpowell454 Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 pm

One, 11, Go, Gem, they are all FTA channels with the space for a league, if the corresponding "mainstream" channel does the right advertising then they will get the ratings. One would probably be the preferred out of those being "THE" digital sport channel.

If anyone had foxtel and an iPad during the Olympic games they had a sometimes buggy but really cool app where you could stream all 8 channels live and they had catch ups and highlights. Would really love this for australian football.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Down side of being on FTA is their shitty HD channels that are anything but HD
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 pm

I think that anyone other than SBS and they wouldn't give it any respect. There would be a highlights show or delayed telecast well after the game was finished. And likely no football talk shows.

As said above, the downside to SBS is the mainstream audience, but at least it will be on FTA.

I'm hoping SBS get it and make it worthwhile.
lufcmike

Postby lufcmike Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm

If you want an idea what football would be like on FTA TV
Those who watched the mini series on 9 last night Howzat will have some idea. it showcased channel 9 but all they could do was show 7 to 10 minutes of program and then have 3 minutes of ads it was almost unwatchable. (thank god for the remote and the moto GP)
I fear footbal may suffer the same fate, they have no respect for the viewers
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 am

If you want an idea what football would be like on FTA TV
Those who watched the mini series on 9 last night Howzat will have some idea. it showcased channel 9 but all they could do was show 7 to 10 minutes of program and then have 3 minutes of ads it was almost unwatchable. (thank god for the remote and the moto GP)
I fear footbal may suffer the same fate, they have no respect for the viewers
If ch7's coverage of the 2008 Olympics and from what I've heard ch9's this year is anything to go by. Fox is the way to go!
Does anyone else get the feeling thats how Murdoch is playing it though. Its not like FTA has always been shit. Is there a slow decline on FTA a suttle push for us all to head down the pay tv path?
Time to Djbate!
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Here's the thing: SBS will always have some kind of show with talk, highlights and analysis.

So (marketing theory here...) better to attract light or non-users of a product. If new FTA viewers like what they see, they'll probably find the show/s on SBS - where else would they look??

So to get more people watching A-League, I think a commercial FTA channel is the way to go. Does it suck in terms of presentation? Probably.

Does it make the sport stronger? Almost certainly

Return to “A-Leagues”