Watching away games, alternatives to Foxtel

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Watching away games, alternatives to Foxtel

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:37 pm

I know there are alot of O/S fans on here and I just wanna check what others are doing.

I've got Foxtel and I have it for the sole purpose of watching Adelaide United away games. We spend about $75 a month for the basic/sports/IQ box and it seems an awful waste especially in the off season. I literally haven't turned my foxtel on since I recorded the Nagoya game.

Has anyone had any experience with Foxtel on Xbox360? Do other games/codes get priority over AU on the sport channel?

The AFC website streams a league games but it's locked for Australian users, is there a way around this?

Is there any other reliable way to watch away games over the interweb?

I'll keep paying if I have to but I'm sick of getting charged for tons of stuff that I don't use.

Anyone got any ideas?
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Watching away games, alternatives to Foxtel

Postby Stuckey Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Being in London I use the AFC site. I think it costs me £4 per month and as long as you have a good connection it great. Only problem is its not at the quality like media player where you can make it full screen. So if you're watching it by yourself its fine but to share would be annoying. But I like streaming as it gives me the chance to hop on here and crap on about the match!
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:50 pm

All the links as we find them in the Match Day Jamboree!©

Roll on September!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 pm

All the links as we find them in the Match Day Jamboree!©

Roll on September!

B)
Ye Gods I hate the off season.

The last few games I watched on a big flat screen in a mate's guesthouse bar. About four or five of us around the table enjoying Adelaide's run (ACL), delightful.

We should get all the ACL games on the local TV here which is sweet indeed.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:08 am

Foxtel on Xbox 360 does its job, the main selling point is the lack of contracts. As of last season the A-league always had priority over other sporting events, so I missed no AU A-league games. That policy does not seem to apply for ACL matches (had to go to a southern-cross club in Canberra to watch the last two) or even Socceroos matches, where the last two away matches were not shown.

Unrelated aside. if you are a fan of the AFL, they offer both dedicated AFL channels but always skip the 4:40pm saturday match (they only do this on the 360 version)

Edit: That said, I only got the 360 version cause my landlord will not allow a foxtel dish. I am moving house soon, I will replace it with real foxtel.
offshorejack
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby offshorejack Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 am

I've got Foxtel and I have it for the sole purpose of watching Adelaide United away games. We spend about $75 a month for the basic/sports/IQ box and it seems an awful waste especially in the off season.
i'm pretty much in exactly the same boat. i suggest (if you dont watch it) you unsubscribe to the sports package during the off season. you could also try and get foxtel switched off for the duration of the off season - sounds stupid I know, but worth a try.

do you have a ps3/or a browser on your xbox? the streams work pretty well on there - that way you can still watch it on tv. I was actually strongly considering getting rid of foxtel and doing this... but decided it was just easier to keep it, as I watch as much of the other games as I can too.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 am

You'd say unsubscribing in offseason sends a good message to fox of what you watch. Voting with your wallet!
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the input guys. Another thing ive been considering is the Telstra t-box but I'm not sure how that system works, their website gives minimal details on how it works.

Sounds like the foxtel on Xbox might be a good option if A-league games get priority, if I have to watch the odd game at the pub or stream it wouldn't bother me and I can unsubscribe in the off season so it's about $30 a month instead of $75.

Who knows, in a years time we might be watching free to air a league.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:10 pm

For away games I stream from places like vipbox.tv, or else head to the pub. Foxtel can get fucked, those prices are outrageous for something that I would use to watch A-League, the odd other football match, and nothing else.
(I would happily pay a few bux per game for a good official online stream though, if FFA offered that).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Bpoowell, this is what I did re FOXTEL. I rang foxtel and said I wanted to cancel - make sure you use the word cancel so you get transferred. Now two things will happen next, they MAY cancel your subscription on the spot OR they will more likely send you through to the "loyalty" call centre because you are a "special customer" and they want to offer you a "special deal only for you". When you get to the loyalty centre, they ask you dumb questions like what du like to watch etc. Don't give in to their bullshit and say you want to cancel - this is where the bartering begins. They will offer you a better deal for the next 6 or 3 months. I currently have what you have (IQ with sports for around $41 a month for the next three months) but I've also stalled my foxtel subscription until August before the Soceroos games and A-league starts again. So normally there is a fee for stalling your subscription like $10 a month but it is WELL worth it in the off season. I got them to stall for free but sometimes you will won't get this option. Now as you've been paying $75 or so for a while now I assume (same as I did for 2 years before I thought "f*ck this") they will be lenient with you. Now each 3 months or 6 months, you ring back up saying you want to cancel or renegotiate the deal - this is important as they will put u back on the expensive plan once the 3 or 6 months cheap plan expires.

Also, if they cancel u on the spot like they've done for me once don't fret - they ring u the next day or two with a "new special deal to keep you" and then the bartering begins with the same as I've said above.

So first thing, I would say I want to cancel and try barter for a better deal. If this does not work (and I'm 90% sure it will) at least put ur account on hold over the off season if you really don't use it.

Finally - MAKE SURE THAT WHEN U RING UP U SAY U WANT TO CANCEL - YOU NEED TO BE SENT TO THE LOYALTY ROOM FIRST BEFORE BARTERING SO DON'T TRY BARTERING WITH THE FIRST CALL CENTRE PERSON AS YOU WOT GET ANYWHERE - U HAVE TO SAY U WANT TO CANCEL THEN START BARTERING ONLY WHEN IN THE LOYALTY CENTRE.

Sorry for caps and long post. I'm on my phone so if this does not make sense I will clarify. But this worked and the more you play hardball the better - I was dead set on cancelling so got a sweet deal but even if they offer you $50 that's a load better.

Any questions?
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I have read this elsewhere also, they will go to great lengths to keep you subscribed. I've had foxtel for 7 years, and had all channels for like 3 of those for $120 a month so I should qualify for loyalty lol.

When I moved house last year I told them I needed a transfer and he said that will be $150 and I said don't worry just cancel it and I'll sign up again when you have free installation on again. Then I got transferred to the "manager" and he tried to hardball me but i stuck to my guns and got transferred for free and upgraded to IQ2.

I might try this first, nothing to lose.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 pm

It is well worth it. I cannot believe how they half the price if u say u want to cancel. It is criminal what they charge people for the retail packages.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:13 pm

He who pays has the power!

We keep forgetting this important fact.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:38 pm

In the next tv deal they need to step things up.

IMO we need an app that we can download on our phones, ipads, pc's or tv's so those who want to stream games can do so legally with decent quality streams.

Major League Baseball do this so why cant we

I think its inevitable, with smart TV's connected to high speed internet becoming the norm a simple app download and subcription fee you suddenly have full access to the sport you desire .....will be the death of foxtel and network television

Oh and does anyone know any J league subscriptions that are not geoblocked here?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 pm

I have read this elsewhere also, they will go to great lengths to keep you subscribed. I've had foxtel for 7 years, and had all channels for like 3 of those for $120 a month so I should qualify for loyalty lol.

When I moved house last year I told them I needed a transfer and he said that will be $150 and I said don't worry just cancel it and I'll sign up again when you have free installation on again. Then I got transferred to the "manager" and he tried to hardball me but i stuck to my guns and got transferred for free and upgraded to IQ2.

I might try this first, nothing to lose.
Yeah, check the Whirlpool thread on Foxtel bargaining if you haven't already.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 95014&p=29

I'm with Old Gregg - I refuse to pay for their very average packages, especially when there are ways around it. I've not missed an AUFC away game in 4 years now and I've never had Foxtel. Match day jamborees are where its at.

Return to “A-Leagues”