HAL clubs question marquee merits

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

HAL clubs question marquee merits

Postby Stuckey Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 pm

The A-League marquee player concept is tired and flawed and does not put bums on seats, two senior club officials said.

It is results that drives attendances not the big names, they said.

Melbourne Heart chief executive Scott Munn and Adelaide United football director Michael Petrillo said A-League clubs would do well to concentrate on getting consistent results rather than splash out the cash on ageing foreign stars who may not even deliver.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league ... em-slammed

I think fans are smart enough now not to be conned into going to a game just because a 'big' name is playing. Sure if a club signed a genuine star like Yorke, Fowler or someone else who's had a career at the top for a top club then crowds will jump up. But generally I think especially in Adelaide we all would rather see AUFC sign local youths who show promise or young unknown foreigners that hopefully make a name for themsevles here taking the next step and then make the club a decent amount of money in the transfer market.
I often think about the $250,000 AUFC spent on bring Romario here for 4 matches. I would how far that money would have gone if it was put straight into youth development instead, or bridging the talent gap between the HAL, NYL and SA's local leagues.
I think in all fans would be happy for their club to sign a marquee but only if the benefits are show on the field as well, and not at the expense of future development or results
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”