McClenahan's Future In Doubt

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

McClenahan's Future In Doubt

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

I liked him at the Olympics, he's the kind of player we are lacking at the moment.
AUSTRALIAN defender Trent McClenahan's future at English Championship club Scunthorpe United remains unclear with his short-term deal at Glanford Park set to expire this week.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/News/193321,m ... doubt.aspx
Time to Djbate!
flavze
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: McClenahan's Future In Doubt

Postby flavze Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:00 pm

i doubt we'd have the cap space to get him tbh, would be nice if we could though i'm pretty happy with Watson's form at RB and with Mullen back next year to we have decent cover there.

I don't think he'll have trouble finding a club in the A-League though.
RedsFan31
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Postby RedsFan31 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeh i think there will be a few A-League clubs with their eyes on him but i doubt we would be one of them at the moment. I'm really impressed with the way Watson has fit in so far. He has stood up and played well in our last two big games against brisbane and the victory as well and fitting any more players in under the cap would have to be an issue now
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
ADEL-GOONERS
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Sergi maybe Slory
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling along by a mile

Postby ADEL-GOONERS Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 pm

watson is a good full back and will only get better imo
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

watson is getting more and more confident on the ball,

I dont think Mullen owns the RB spot anymore put it that way.

Be happy to sign this guy but i think our defense while fully fit is actually quite strong
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
United We Stand

Postby United We Stand Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:03 pm

I have suggested Trent McClenehan on other forums before. Yes he is an impressive defender (Played well for the Olyroos in Beijing) but fitting him in under the salary cap might be tricky. With Mullen out we should sign him on until the end of the season. It will be a "win-win" situation for both United and McClenehan. We strengthen our squad with a quality player and he gets game time and a chance to assess whether he would like to stay in the A-League or return to Britain.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 am

I have suggested Trent McClenehan on other forums before. Yes he is an impressive defender (Played well for the Olyroos in Beijing) but fitting him in under the salary cap might be tricky. With Mullen out we should sign him on until the end of the season. It will be a "win-win" situation for both United and McClenehan. We strengthen our squad with a quality player and he gets game time and a chance to assess whether he would like to stay in the A-League or return to Britain.
Yeah that sounds good i would say that's the only way we would be able to sign him.
Time to Djbate!
Hewie

Postby Hewie Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Am I the only one that thinks this kid is massively overrated?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Am I the only one that thinks this kid is massively overrated?
Personally i dont even rate him because i havnt seen him play.

I find it laughable how aussies in leagues all over the world can get a cult following on the internet back home when 90% havnt even seen them play.

Ersan Gulum is a prime example, he was the socceroos new must have accessory for 2011, that is of course if you listen to all the forumites who had never seen him play and based their their opinions of him on myth and rumour.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:23 pm

What do you mean? Isn't Gulum the new messiah? He is 10 feet tall and with a left boot that can smash the ball through the back of the net from the other end of the pitch! He is sooooooooooooooooooooooo good that he plays both left back and central defence - at the same time! :D
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm

I agree that you can't personally rate someone if you haven't seen them play.

But common sense would tell you that the league they play in is a certain standard and if they are playing regularly in that league they in theory must be of that standard as well.
Time to Djbate!
United We Stand

Postby United We Stand Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Guys I acknowledge your point about people making comments about players that they have not seen. In my case,I was at the Beijing Olympics and saw him playing for the Olyroos.He impressed me as a good right back and I wasn't surprised that he not only played at West Ham but played fror two years in the Scottish Premier League before transferring to Scunthorpe United in the English Championship. As you can see he has played at a decent level and would be a good acquisition for United. Watson and McClenehan could fight it out for the right back spot,leaving Mullen to concentrate on his preferred centre back position next season. For the present,however,we do not have any cover for the right back position. I rate Barbiero as a good midfielder but he is not a right back. McClenehan would be an improvement over Watson so he should be signed up for, at the very least, until the end of the season. He could be an injury replacement for Joe Costa or Keenan. At twenty five years of age,I would be looking at signing him on for a couple of years.I do not think that he is overrated.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 pm

He would have to be released though as we don't want to be paying transfer fees if we can help it.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
United We Stand

Postby United We Stand Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 pm

General A,McClenehan's short term contract with Scunthorpe United expires THIS WEEK.As a result,he would be a FREE player. The real tricky part is fitting him in under the salary cap. Whether,he can be an injury replacement player for Mullen or Keenan,I don't know. We should try and pick him up to strengthen the defence as we run into the finals.

Return to “A-Leagues”