Coaching ladder

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Coaching ladder

Postby Old Gregg Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 am

1 Postecoglou - AUSTRALIAN
2 Coolen - EUROPEAN
3 Arnold - AUSTRALIAN
4 Bleiberg - AUSTRALIAN-TRAINED
5 Merrick - AUSTRALIAN-TRAINED
6 Culina - AUSTRALIAN
7 Herbert - NEW ZEALAND
8 van't Schip - EUROPEAN
9 Ferguson - EUROPEAN
10 Lavicka - EUROPEAN
11 Straka - EUROPEAN

Interesting in light of claims that importing European coaches is always a good thing for the quality of the league...

Rini is the sole foreign coach in the top half of the table. Not counting Merrick and Bleiberg because their entire coaching careers have been in Australia.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Coaching ladder

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 am

Good point!
Time to Djbate!
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:18 pm

I would argue that the introduction of foreign coaches has helped lift coaching standards, and subsequently encouraged locals to raise their game, although Ange has always been well thought of- and I hear was likely a preferred choice for AU coach before they went with Vidmar :?

Straka is doing the best he can in difficult circumstances- to get as many points as he has with a desperately poor squad (Williams aside) is pretty good going, especially considering the uncertain future they face. Lavicka on the other hand is showing a lack of flexibility and motivation.

Ian Ferguson hasn't coached anywhere other than Australia. He finished his playing career here, like Lawrie McKinna did.

The growth and development of football in Asia and Africa can be attributed to their willingness to learn from the best and put it into practice. We will get there.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:59 pm

I dont think its quite that simple, there are so many variables in there to compare purely on a ladder basis.
But it has to be said Postegcoglou and Arnold are proof that with the correct education australians can be great coaches, Postegcoglou inparticular with the game he has implemented!

I think it infact demonstrates that coaches like your fergusons, mckinnas and merricks time in this league are limited.

I would still say quality euro coaches are a must, as there just are not any other Aussie coaches to go around who have the expereince and education of postegcoglou and arnold, this will change in coming years though.

One just needs to look at the J league for proof of this

1 Postecoglou - AUSTRALIAN - Got himself educated

2 Coolen - EUROPEAN -class act, you dont coach in Eurp champs league being clueless

3 Arnold - AUSTRALIAN - Has an education, 10 years in national team with great coaches

4 Bleiberg - AUSTRALIAN-TRAINED - With the squad he had you could ask questions why they havnt done better

5 Merrick - AUSTRALIAN-TRAINED- aussie trained and it shows!

6 Culina - AUSTRALIAN a great australian coach

7 Herbert - NEW ZEALAND- over rated

8 van't Schip - EUROPEAN- would say the jury is still out, many many injuries, added to being the clubs first season.

9 Ferguson - EUROPEAN- Is not exactly what you think about from the term "euro coach" now is he

10 Lavicka - EUROPEAN- proved himself last season with an average squad, this season? who knows i dont think the players want it

11 Straka - EUROPEAN- Take a look at the list he has, plus injuries. The longer this league can keep him the better
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:05 pm

I would argue that the introduction of foreign coaches has helped lift coaching standards, and subsequently encouraged locals to raise their game, although Ange has always been well thought of- and I hear was likely a preferred choice for AU coach before they went with Vidmar :?
You'd argue wrong.
We've hardly had any foreign coaches until this season and they've all, to this point, been pretty poor. Littbarski and Lavicka are the only two foreign-trained coaches who have achieved anything in A-League history and, well, with only one of those two still in Australia, look what feats that team is now achieving (after only so many months).

Return to “A-Leagues”