Palmer's Christmas gift

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Re: Palmer's Christmas gift

Postby Agostinho Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 am

That wasnt the freebie game.

The game will still be limited to 5,000 because Palmer is such a tight ass that he wont pay the transport levy that they tack on when they expect more than 5,000 people going.
That's not the information coming from the leader of the GCU supporters' club.

And aside from that it would be a completely counter productive move which I highly doubt Palmer would do.
#WeAreUnited
Seanason_AU
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Seanason_AU Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 am

Then it is great news. Hopefully they can crack the 15k mark.
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am

Then it is great news. Hopefully they can crack the 15k mark.
The supporters' group are aiming for 20k (which I think is a little ambitious) - but nothing wrong with aiming high.
#WeAreUnited
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:42 am

Does anyone else get the feeling that is an exercise aimed at gauging just what the absolute maximum number of potential supporters there are on the Gold Coast? I think the FFA have suggested Clive do this, and may actually be bankrolling it behind the scenes.

I believe that based on the numbers at this game there will be a decision made to move the team to Western Sydney (unless 25k turn up).

10 teams next year, nqf gone, gcu relocated...
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Does anyone else get the feeling that is an exercise aimed at gauging just what the absolute maximum number of potential supporters there are on the Gold Coast? I think the FFA have suggested Clive do this, and may actually be bankrolling it behind the scenes.

I believe that based on the numbers at this game there will be a decision made to move the team to Western Sydney (unless 25k turn up).

10 teams next year, nqf gone, gcu relocated...
i swear i posted this alreadybut i cant find it,

I think its clive trying to figure out if there are any fans at all for his club and will make his decision accordingly at the end of the season about handing back the club
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 am

Apparently 10k tickets gone for this match already.

Great stuff. Now they just need to identify what it is they're doing wrong and rectify it. I hate GCU, but I'd hate to see them fold.
#WeAreUnited
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 pm

What did I tell ya? It's the Cartmanland effect :lol:
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm

In other Palmer-related news:
So apparently Clive Palmer is planning to revive the zeppelin as a mode of transport, more than 70 years after the Hindenburg disaster largely destroyed the reputations of these fabulous flying machines.
He has registered a company called Zeppelin International with two friends who are descendents of the aircraft's pioneer, German Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin in the early 20th century, and plans to help bring the zeppelin into a new era.

"In the old days they used to fly from Berlin to Rio de Janeiro," Palmer told reporters.

"They've still got the capability of doing that. What they had was the wrong sort of gas in them at that time, they had hydrogen which exploded... but prior to that they had been running thousands of miles, hundreds of thousands of miles, around the globe."

"The basic technology is still very sound."
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/entrepre ... light.html

GCUnited or Zeppelin International.. not sure which of these schemes is more likely to explode in a catastrophic inferno.

Oh the humanity!
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:06 am

woah, weird! i was watching the golden compass on the weekend and was thinking to myself 'whatever happened to the zeppelin as a mode of transport!?' i feel strange
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 am

Our cynasism is seeming to be unfounded (at this stage) with free tickets being snapped up left right and centre on the Gold Coast and Brisbane - if the movement of tickets continues at the pace it is they could sell out the stadium...
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:01 am

The weather will play a huge role in this one. Forecast if for heavy rain on Sunday. If this happens a lot of people will not go, even if they have free tickets.

I have also heard of people getting a bunch of tickets with the aim of giving them out...so this may or may not happen.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 am

People are much more likely to make an excuse to not go when they have no financial commitment. One hopes the weather holds off for GCU, I may harbour some measure of dislike for them but their team plays good football and they deserve to be watched by more than the 1,500-3,000 who sho up to their matches on a regular basis. It is like the NZKs, but with a team that actually can achieve success - WTF more do people on the Gold Coast want?
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Palmer's burned all his bridges even to those who would want to support a team.
I hear that a lot, but could someone please explain what exactly Palmer did? I know about the crowd cap, but that is a very justifiable stance, considering the crowd sizes they were getting, and the difference in cost between having a cap and not.

A lot of people criticise Palmer, but I don't understand why, he is losing millions per year on the team, and yet he has not walked away like other owners have.

I think the people of the Gold Coast need to take some responsibility for what has happened, they are the ones who have failed to show that they want a team.

...perhaps they don't?
Palmer has more money than ten dogs have hair.
He is a mining magnate whose prime reason for owning a football team is to access Asia via the team getting into the ACL.

He provided ALL the money for the club, hired a coach whose only qualification in football is that he has an accent, and in Palmer's mind that meant he could coach.
Miron assembled an awesome squad that should have won the championship & the toilet seat.
Palmer then bragged that his team would go undefeated BEFORE a ball had been kicked, his only " advertising " was to shit on other A-League teams history and skill.

Palmer is a waste of skin who's losing millions because of his own in-eptitude and lack of respect.

This year he's been a lot more low key, but in my eyes the damage was done nearly two years ago.
:blah: :blah:
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:32 am

The management at GCU think they will get 10,000 and might get 20,000.

I think the only thing more interesting then how many come this game is how many turn around and come the game after.
Time to Djbate!
Hamaldinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and JERONIMOOO
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Heeeey, hey keeper!

Postby Hamaldinho Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 pm

I think the only thing more interesting then how many come this game is how many turn around and come the game after.
Agreed. Even if they get a huge turn out it wont matter if their crowds go back to embarrasment afterwards.
Fuck Off Melbourne.

Return to “A-Leagues”