Ideas to boost A-League interest?

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Ideas to boost A-League interest?

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Take your kids to Hindmarsh.
Take your nephews and nieces.
Take your cousins and/or your neighbors.
Take your girlfriend, her sister and her mother!
The best promotion is word of mouth and that is a bit easier when the team is playing well and winning games.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Adrian
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Adrian Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Don't see you bringing anyone to games...
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Next time I'm in Adelaide i will.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 am

the thread is called
Ideas to boost A-League interest?

What do you think?

No Roots, No Growth!
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 am

It is true, the people I have been able to convince to come to matches with me have become regulars, the hard thing is convincing people to come with me, most have that 'soccer is a pansy diving sport' attitude and their opinion can't be changed it seems.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 pm

'soccer is a pansy diving sport'
Like what AFL has turned into...
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Ever since they took the "biff" out of it...

No Roots, No Growth!
WINDSOR

Postby WINDSOR Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Stuckey wrote:
davidbloop wrote:

I haven't Seen AFL for a couple of years but they were doing the quick head flick back i.e. High tackle.

But things to improve A-League:

It is tough to convince haters to go to the marsh.

Free-to-air Wrap up show. There is one here on Sky Sports

Reduce ticket cost - more merch - more beers.
Hindmarsh - the worlds greatest stadium without a car park
@windsors
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:28 am

I know it probably goes against the family friendly thing that the FFA are going for with the league, but having a strip club so close to the ground certainly helps me drag my mates along to Friday night games!
flavze

Postby flavze Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:10 am

Cheerleaders/strippers at half time.
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 pm

(sorry folks, this got long winded fast!)

ok, i stole this idea off of the 36ers site a few years back and thought it was brilliant. couldn't believe it had never been spoken of before (that i am aware of), but been too lazy to write this up lol. i can't find it now or any info on it, i assume bcoz Fox no longer own the rights to the NBL, but i was watching live scores on the 36ers website one time, and i followed a link to a game stream. it was a direct broadcast of the Fox Sports coverage. i didn't access it because you needed to sign up etc. and i'm not that involved in bball but basically for a small fee per game you could watch away games via the 36ers website. (only $5 off memory, a small free that could even be split by mates who come around to watch it)

i really think the A-League could capitalize on this idea. there are so many people out there that stream the games *cough* illegally lol *cough* that i reckon would get involved in this. i know for one that i would. think about the benefits as a viewer, for a small fee you are guaranteed a reliable streaming source, that would be of high quality resolution, better sound quality, as little lag as possible, and you could be putting money into your club's pockets by watching. whether a small cut goes to your club in the deal, or even just for the advertising opportunities on the page from our sponsors. i'd only recommend it be away games, to encourage home attendances though.

not everyone can afford Foxtel, nor want Foxtel if football is all they'd watch on it. a market that Foxtel would never get near could be captured, and for them they'd hopefully be restricting illegal free third party streams somewhat (doesn't bother me, but surely it bothers them!). obviously only if fans support the idea, thus why i think club's should benefit from the deal financially as well. another number one reason i think it would benefit supporters, clubs and the league all round is overseas fans will have somewhere they can watch the games. the market may not be large, but there are fans out there that i feel are being somewhat ignored. and as the league grows, that number of OS supporters will only grow imo, as people growing up with the league travel around for business or leisure. when i discovered the 36ers/NBL's version, the bet365 streams weren't available as far as i knew to international viewers, so i could understand why overseas viewers may not get involved now, but i'm sure there's plenty of people who can't get to a pub/won't go to a pub to watch an away fixture within Australia.

it would be true to say that when Foxtel had this deal with the NBL up and running, that league and code was (is) struggling a hell of a lot, thus forcing such a hand. but it does prove that Fox may be somewhat open to such an idea. i personally, and i'd say their business minds would also, consider the A-League as a booming league with nothing but potential to keep growing. this may just capture a market that we don't currently have as well as benefit those who support the league but not the shit load of channels and bills that come with signing up to Foxtel. and what do they have to lose? if it doesn't work, then just shut it down. or if Fox believe they're losing customers from the deal, make the deal temporary. if the paying system is match by match, then there won't be subscribers to lose out if the idea is axed.

i can't see Fox losing a large amount of subscribers from this, and there are so many of us that only watch away games online, bcoz we do not want Foxtel or can not justify getting it in our budgets just for football. they get this market of online viewers, we get a solid working stream, and money to our clubs. maybe not do this tomorrow, but as the league begins to grow, why not?

i do understand the NBL isn't with Foxtel anymore, and it was a dying TV deal at that time, whereas the A-League should be considered a booming opportunity, but still, this would surely benefit all parties in some way or another. this would not end the distance between FTA viewers who are missing opportunities to catch the A-League, but it may be a start??

*end essay*

thoughts for those that bothered to read all of this? lol
andyj
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby andyj Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Interesting, I like it...

...but perhaps this belongs in it's own thread as It's a good idea but I think it would be a case of preaching to the converted, I don't think that it would boost interest in the a-league. People are lazy (and tight) they need to be force feed, rather than hunt their own food...if that makes sense!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:35 pm

I would certainly be interested.

I can't convince my wife to get foxtel because it will cost too much but when i go to the pub to watch away matches i spend the same amount as i would cost to have foxtel for the month!

Maybe members could get a free subscription?
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I wouldn't pay to watch United on Fox through Internet.
I wouldn't pay to watch football/sport on-line.
There are too many other options.

On the other hand I would consider it If it was together with a membership package that directly assisted the club as Stuckey alluded.

But all in all i think it is an economic question.

By the way
@stuckey, have you looked at what Fox can offer your wife?
There could be programs that interest her.
You could approach the Fox question from another side, one that has benefits for both parties.

No Roots, No Growth!
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:52 pm

@stuckey, have you looked at what Fox can offer your wife?
There could be programs that interest her.
This. When there's no football on fox, it's pretty much locked into Arena or Lifestyle by my wife :)

Return to “A-Leagues”