What now for A-league with no Aussie world cup?

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

What now for A-league with no Aussie world cup?

Postby shinAUFC Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 pm

This subject has been all over other footbal forums, however it seems mainly pre pubescent children are the only people that have an oppinon judging by the quality of posts elsewhere.

So,

We have no aussie world cup, which is a set back, how will the A-league react?

will it fold?

Can the FFA now pour more recources into the league?

What now of the Fury? given their future was only assured if we won the rights to the world cup?

What now of frank lowy? some dim wits are asking for his head.

My opinion is the league is going no where, if some of australias richest busniess men ( AU consortium and tinkler) have recently jumped on board, then surely they is a great indication they believe in this league and what it can become.

I am not to fussed about low crowds, brisbane is on the rise, adelaide is strong as always, Newcastle is showing some real potential.
Vicotry are down on their averages howeever lets not forget the heart have taken a chunk of their members,
Perth, sydney, wellington have produced some weak attendances but to be honest their form deserves it.

The only worry for me is goldy, its clearly not working and Clive palmer is clearly no nathan tinkler!

I have no doubt that if the FFA put some good money into marketing the league and letting the casuals know the league is great and it there for all to see, then it will succeed.

Next season with the possibility of an FFA cup, better marketing will hopefully be a ground breaking one ,

but lets hope they do not reduce the number of games being played, and surely they wont as there is a 27 game minimum to qualify for ACL.

/thoughts..
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: What now for A-league with no Aussie world cup?

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm not really interested in all this doom and gloom BS people are talking. I'm looking forward to the full focus the FFA will now being showing the A-league.

Its not like we lost the WC because we never had it to begin with. We bid its was unsuccessful, we'll bid again. I really think the world cup bid and the A-league have as much to do with eachother as AU and North Adelaide sure they're affiliated but thats about it. If one fails it doesn't mean the other will.

We can all complain that the bid was rigged and Qatar bought all the votes whatever. The main reason we lost the bid is that the stadia put forward benefits almost everyother sport in this country except Football. Cross country skiing almost benefitted more!

When this country takes bidding for the World Cup seriously FIFA will take us seriously.
Time to Djbate!
General Ashnak
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 am

What negetives does this result in for the HAL?

Not much, other than we are not as attractive a place to invest. So our financial growth is restricted but the HAL and the FFA is not dead.

The main positive out of all this is that the FFA is going to have to concentrate on the HAL and make it as secure as it can. No more pussy footing around.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:02 pm

What negetives does this result in for the HAL?

Not much, other than we are not as attractive a place to invest. So our financial growth is restricted but the HAL and the FFA is not dead.

The main positive out of all this is that the FFA is going to have to concentrate on the HAL and make it as secure as it can. No more pussy footing around.
I believe with Tinkler at newcastle, and the new AU consortium both having substantial capital and connections to make ideas become reality this can only attract more to the game,

Im sure they have connection with many companies and there for potential sponsors, if these guys can walk the walk then we may see a bit of a "bull market" interms of A league investors, as im sure there are many wanting to invest but want to see proof before they put pen to paper
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm

if Frank goes, does that mean that the Phoenix also go? as far as i'm aware, he's one of the main reasons they've stayed bcoz he's a big fan of them in the A-League, and he fights for them against the AFC. i'd personally be devastated for Wellington if they left our league and think that it'll be a massive blow to not only our league but Oceanic football in general.

the way i see it, we have a whole heap of cash and important people's time to turn the focus back towards the A-League. surely this league will just strengthen with the marketing team having basically nothing else to worry about.

the WC would have turned a lot of the general public's attention towards football and the A-League, so now it's up to the FFA to find other ways to achieve this. if the domestic competition fails, you can bet your bottom dollar that we'll never see a WC on our soil.

i personally feel really positive about the future.
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

onwards and upwards, the A-Leaguer and the clubs are now the clear no1 priority for the FFA.
The Asian cup will be a chance to for Aus to further integrate itself into Asia and hopefully get their complete support when/if we got for the WC again.
We need to the A-League to become one of the best quality and biggest leagues in Asia to garner more respect from our fellow confed members, to do that we need to make the clubs self sustainable as our main focus or a succesful WC bid will have the same affect as the Rugby WC did in Aus.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

onwards and upwards, the A-Leaguer and the clubs are now the clear no1 priority for the FFA.
The Asian cup will be a chance to for Aus to further integrate itself into Asia and hopefully get their complete support when/if we got for the WC again.
We need to the A-League to become one of the best quality and biggest leagues in Asia to garner more respect from our fellow confed members, to do that we need to make the clubs self sustainable as our main focus or a succesful WC bid will have the same affect as the Rugby WC did in Aus.
What effect did that have? I wasn't really paying attention.
Time to Djbate!
flavze

Postby flavze Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 am

none, it was pretty big when it was on and garnered alot of interest but the ARB didn't take advantage of it and the interest from non-rugby playing states died of alot.
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:18 pm

What effect did that have? I wasn't really paying attention.
Exactly, which is why I can't understand why so many people in Adelaide say how glad they are we didn't get the world cup. I could not have cared less whether we got the Rugby World cup or not, so why are other people happy we didn't get the football world cup. If you don't follow the game why would you care? :bang:
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:42 pm

anyone think a NQF /GC merger is on the cards? give pamler 51% of the club and 49% to local investors.

GC is a lost cause, it really is. NQF has so much promise but no money, it makes sense.

Play games in NQ not gold coast.

Of course i say it as if its just something very simple to do over the course of an afternoon, which obviously it is not
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:17 am

with the extra money that the FFA surely have in their budget now, i think it'll be ridiculous if they allow NQ to disappear.

if a merger saves the club, i guess you can't complain, but it's a bit harsh on the people at NQ who have done their hardest to develop the club into what it is. it's a club of the community. it deserves to be assisted, it deserves to be saved, it deserves to be in this league.

to see NQ demise, in my opinion, is unacceptable.

as for GC, i have no idea where you'd even start lol. i can't see them making a turn around. just waiting for the well to run dry.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 am

Why would Palmer have any interest in owning a club that's based and plays it's games 1,200km away?
#WeAreUnited

Return to “A-Leagues”