VAR Shenanigans

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby sevengoals Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 pm

VAR makes an appearance.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 am

Looks like another season to be destroyed by VAR, following the World Cup which VAR also wrecked.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 pm

I think if the ref makes a call and the VAR is inconclusive like it was in the Melbourne derby, then he should just stick with his original decision which was a free outside the box. No way it was a penality.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 pm

I think if the ref makes a call and the VAR is inconclusive like it was in the Melbourne derby, then he should just stick with his original decision which was a free outside the box. No way it was a penality.
I won't be popular with this view, but .... I think the ref did it the right way:

1) ref makes the call about foul or not, and about inside or outside the box
2) checks VAR
2a) was it clearly not a foul? - VAR is inconclusive, so his call stands, it's a foul.
2b) was it clearly not outside the box? - VAR is conclusive, it's inside the box, therefore a penalty.

Personally, I think that actually it wasn't a foul, but once the ref called it and the VAR was inconclusive, I think 'penalty' was the only decision he could make once he'd viewed it.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 pm

VAR rears its ugly head.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby EdDog Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I won't be popular with this view, but .... I think the ref did it the right way:

1) ref makes the call about foul or not, and about inside or outside the box
2) checks VAR
2a) was it clearly not a foul? - VAR is inconclusive, so his call stands, it's a foul.
2b) was it clearly not outside the box? - VAR is conclusive, it's inside the box, therefore a penalty.

Personally, I think that actually it wasn't a foul, but once the ref called it and the VAR was inconclusive, I think 'penalty' was the only decision he could make once he'd viewed it.
You are right, I just feel there is usually a difference between fouls inside the box and fouls outside. There was such minimal contact.

Again, it is technically the "correct" decision but the original decision was super soft.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:53 pm

VAR strikes in the Sydney derby.

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 am

OMG. Wellington on the end of what I think is the worst VAR decision we've seen.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: VAR Shenanigans

Postby EdDog Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am

OMG. Wellington on the end of what I think is the worst VAR decision we've seen.
Utter joke.

Won't get any attention though because it didn't happen to an eastern seaboard team.

I feel sorry for Rudan and Wellington. Arguably cost them 2 points.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am

I think the current var set up shows the power of persuasion.

Refs are making bad decisions because their buddies in the stand says “ u better look at this again” so when they review the footage they are already looking at it with the preconceived notion that they missed something.

It ultimately easier for the ref to go along with VAR rather than review the footage and say “ no i got it right the first time”
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

I think the current var set up shows the power of persuasion.

Refs are making bad decisions because their buddies in the stand says “ u better look at this again” so when they review the footage they are already looking at it with the preconceived notion that they missed something.

It ultimately easier for the ref to go along with VAR rather than review the footage and say “ no i got it right the first time”
Yeah I think you're right. Down the track I reckon we'll start to see the more inexperienced refs altering more of their decisions compared to more experienced ones. Its pretty natural to expect a ref with less than 10 games experience is going to go along with the VAR ref if that's someone like Griffiths-Jones who has years of HAL experience. I'm happy to see VAR stuck with though. I think as the refs get more used to using it we'll see it used less.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”