HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby EdDog Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 am

Without looking at the bids at all, I'm almost certain a second Adelaide club is no chance.

NSW and VIC are the only real players IMO because of the FFA.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Without looking at the bids at all, I'm almost certain a second Adelaide club is no chance.

NSW and VIC are the only real players IMO because of the FFA.
Yeah that's where I'm at too. My reaction to news of the SA bid was: "Why bother?"
I hope I'm wrong on all counts, SA get a second club, it's a wonderful success and we soon have the problem of where to build the new Football stadium after Adelaide Oval gets sold out for every derby for the first few seasons.
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 pm

We'd be lucky to sell out Hindmarsh. 14,000 AU supporters and a few hundred West Adelaide supporters. The only hope I can see for a second Adelaide team to succeed would be either a composite side backed by the all the FFSA clubs (like the SANFL did with the Crows), or a completely new entity based in the north and sharing AU's facilities at Elizabeth.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am

I think you are both on the money, a second side would be very healthy for AUFC and the game in SA in general, however we are not big enough economically nor demographically to have an "Adelaide Heart" scenario.

The FFA give all the appearances of having made their decision and are going through a process to provide a veneer of equitability and to see if anything else interesting arises. Were it otherwise we would have seen expansion criteria against which competing bids could be measured.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm

West adelaide cut from the final short list in favour of clubs from sydney and melbourne.

Interestingly they have been asked to apply in the next round and seem quite confident an adelaide expansion club will come In following years.

Bring on 3 derbys a year i say! I really look forward to it.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I think you are both on the money, a second side would be very healthy for AUFC and the game in SA in general, however we are not big enough economically nor demographically to have an "Adelaide Heart" scenario.

The FFA give all the appearances of having made their decision and are going through a process to provide a veneer of equitability and to see if anything else interesting arises. Were it otherwise we would have seen expansion criteria against which competing bids could be measured.
I think adelaide can absolutely have a second team and be a success. There is more than enough love for the game to cover 2 clubs.

The issue i will concede is mismanagement of the league and AUFC , there is a clear disconnect.

The timing just isnt right, however if the new AUFC owners are the goods and get a solid couple of years connecting with the state then i think another club will work.

The only reason hindmarsh does not regularly sell out is a result of poor management not a lack of support
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:46 am

Apart from the FFA, there does not appear to be a lot of love for the Southern Expansion bid.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

Apart from the FFA, there does not appear to be a lot of love for the Southern Expansion bid.
Yeah I find that strange? Obviously splitting the games over two regions isn't ideal.
But few bids appear more professional and few bids take on so many aspects of what bids need to take on.
I know many don't like Fozzie but personally I find few have the game in this country at heart more than him. If he's willing to place his face on this bid I'm behind it too.
Plus the amount of lame complaining from Sydney FC about losing fans from this bid is just hilarious, so I'd love to see the bid win for this reason as well.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:32 am

Plus the amount of lame complaining from Sydney FC about losing fans from this bid is just hilarious, so I'd love to see the bid win for this reason as well.
The very same complaints they had when Western Sydney came into being. I'd just ignore them as ironically South Expansion is likely to strengthen Sydney rather than weaken it.

My main concern is the crowding out of Wollongong, a place that I'd love to see field an A-League side.

Then again, I like the idea of a Tassie team so what would I know :D
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Whatever they do they will fark it up.
That is the feeling I have.

Sorry...
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:44 am

Western Melbourne and South-West Sydney, apparently. The former to come in next season and the latter the season after.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am

Disappointed for South Melbourne.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Disappointed for South Melbourne.

B)
Yep!

The aleague could do with some history and legitimacy.

South would have added a whole new dimension to the league and would have really hit the ground running, they are a club everone respect but also would pay money to watch them lose.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:04 pm

God damn bye round next season.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 pm

The A League should make more use of weeknights anyway so a bye shouldn't be an issue.

Probably the two safest options for the A-League to choose, though I can't see either of them gathering a huge following.

It's interesting that the West Melbourne team will be based a long way out west without much existing population, let alone facilities. Does anyone wonder if they'll never actually leave Geelong?

Return to “A-Leagues”