HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football league.

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby EdDog Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 am

Without looking at the bids at all, I'm almost certain a second Adelaide club is no chance.

NSW and VIC are the only real players IMO because of the FFA.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isa
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Without looking at the bids at all, I'm almost certain a second Adelaide club is no chance.

NSW and VIC are the only real players IMO because of the FFA.
Yeah that's where I'm at too. My reaction to news of the SA bid was: "Why bother?"
I hope I'm wrong on all counts, SA get a second club, it's a wonderful success and we soon have the problem of where to build the new Football stadium after Adelaide Oval gets sold out for every derby for the first few seasons.
Josep: "It's Futbal!"
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 pm

We'd be lucky to sell out Hindmarsh. 14,000 AU supporters and a few hundred West Adelaide supporters. The only hope I can see for a second Adelaide team to succeed would be either a composite side backed by the all the FFSA clubs (like the SANFL did with the Crows), or a completely new entity based in the north and sharing AU's facilities at Elizabeth.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy

Postby blahblah Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am

I think you are both on the money, a second side would be very healthy for AUFC and the game in SA in general, however we are not big enough economically nor demographically to have an "Adelaide Heart" scenario.

The FFA give all the appearances of having made their decision and are going through a process to provide a veneer of equitability and to see if anything else interesting arises. Were it otherwise we would have seen expansion criteria against which competing bids could be measured.

Return to “Hyundai A-League”