"Key Reds playmaker Flores in demand" - Will he leave?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Adrian
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: "Key Reds playmaker Flores in demand" - Will he leave?

Postby Adrian Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I'd rather we never get another marque player tbh.
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:05 pm

yeah, but the problem is if that facing star does not show the form that their career hi light real shows then interest falls away very quickly when people realise "oh he is human after all"
IMO the idea/goal behind marquees and guest players is that they boost crowds from our 11-12k up to maybe 14-15k for a few weeks and once the hype dies down hopefully we are left with an extra 1000 regulars.

If they provide anything on the field it is really just a bonus.
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

What about someone like Leckie or Flores as a marquee. Sure we would be holding their career back. But Flores next season would have as much pulling power as most players
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

yeah, but the problem is if that facing star does not show the form that their career hi light real shows then interest falls away very quickly when people realise "oh he is human after all"
IMO the idea/goal behind marquees and guest players is that they boost crowds from our 11-12k up to maybe 14-15k for a few weeks and once the hype dies down hopefully we are left with an extra 1000 regulars.

If they provide anything on the field it is really just a bonus.
Yes
Time to Djbate!
Dermot
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Flores
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling Along

Postby Dermot Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 pm

As we all get older you suddenly realise that players come and go whether we as fans like it or not. Having said that I don't want to debate whether he will stay or not, but like most passionate Adelaide United supporters, I want him to stay as long as possible.
This young lad has brought style to our game, so long may it last.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 am

As we all get older you suddenly realise that players come and go whether we as fans like it or not. Having said that I don't want to debate whether he will stay or not, but like most passionate Adelaide United supporters, I want him to stay as long as possible.
QFT

It will be sad when they leave, but what is more important is that we have our eyes on the next prospect. TBF Ramsay could be our next Leckie equivalent (and on a longer contract) and we need to be looking at bringing in a replacement for Flores as well. If we can turn over 3-4 players a season via transfers (i.e. cash in AUFC's wallet) then the club is doing the right thing.

With regard to a marquee, I neither want no need one - bbut if we look at picking up a mid season guest player with a high profile I wont complain as it can help with getting a few capacity crowds. The key is to have them timed for our home game runs - not away games.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 am

QFT

It will be sad when they leave, but what is more important is that we have our eyes on the next prospect. TBF Ramsay could be our next Leckie equivalent (and on a longer contract) and we need to be looking at bringing in a replacement for Flores as well. If we can turn over 3-4 players a season via transfers (i.e. cash in AUFC's wallet) then the club is doing the right thing.

With regard to a marquee, I neither want no need one - bbut if we look at picking up a mid season guest player with a high profile I wont complain as it can help with getting a few capacity crowds. The key is to have them timed for our home game runs - not away games.
yep very true, players come and go, but lets hope its not in the niddle of the season!

Im sure Rini can find us another number 10 if we need to, It would not suprise me if we end up with 5 dutch players next season ( including sergio ) if cassio is naturalised in time.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Dermot
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Flores
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling Along

Postby Dermot Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 am

Just because I said that I realise that players come and go, doesn't mean that I agree that it should happen, whether it is mid season or end of season. Personally I hope that we can hang onto players in general, just that bit longer than we do.However reality is, that we have to do as a club what is best for the club as well as the player.
General Ashnak

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am

Just because I said that I realise that players come and go, doesn't mean that I agree that it should happen, whether it is mid season or end of season. Personally I hope that we can hang onto players in general, just that bit longer than we do.However reality is, that we have to do as a club what is best for the club as well as the player.
Keeping players for a long time is very difficult - even for the biggest clubs in the world. Honestly, how many Giggs are there in the world of football today?
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Mr. Happy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid.
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We're not full of convicts...

Postby Mr. Happy Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am

Keeping players for a long time is very difficult - even for the biggest clubs in the world. Honestly, how many Giggs are there in the world of football today?
It helps that he plays for a massive club with a huge wage budget too.
Cats, Sex and Nazis that's why they call me Mr. Happy!
General Ashnak

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:50 am

It helps, but isn't the only reason he is there - definately a club before country sort of man.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm

QFT

+ 0.5

If we get a marquee I want a big name who will improve our side and raise the profile of the club and game in Adelaide e.g Ljungberg, Kewell etc

Or we follow the Melbourne Victory model and just move the 2 highest earners outside of the salary cap. (SVD and EG perhaps)

No players who weren't good enough to play for bottom half championship sides (sterjovski, Carle etc)
General Ashnak

Postby General Ashnak Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Hugene is already a marquee player.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 pm

really?
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:52 pm

i think you mean Eugene should be a marquee player

i totally agree. has been our most outstanding player for seasons. has saved (cough) our bacon so many times it's not funny. a great goal stopper. he's another player i do want to see travel overseas and reach his full potentual though.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”