Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:00 am

I truly doubt there is any pattern to why a certain group or type of player gets missed. Obviously the club signs who they feel best suits the club.
But IMO the club still isn't in a position to throw many big contracts at players, bigger contracts cost more to sign than small one year deals. Which is why the club have such a large portion of the squad on them. This will always open up the possibility that other clubs can swoop in a capture players like Kamau.
I have no way of proving this but IMO I would have very shocked if the club was spending their entire salary cap on players. I would expect a portion of money the club gets from TV rights is going towards funding other areas of the club that aren't being covered by memberships and sponsorship. The club is operating at this point sustainably from what we hear so I think it is being run quite well but beggars can't be choosers so the way the club is being run means that the club has to miss out on signing players like Kamau on longer term deals and/or offering NYL players like Tongyik contracts as well which may have an indirect cost in the future should those players move abroad for healthy transfer fees, but ATM that just isn't a revenue stream the club can afford to tap into completely.
But given the success rate the club has of promoting and developing young players coupled with the success of last season. I really doubt the club feels there is a huge need to alter things too heavily. I'd hope that an increase in membership and sponsorship will enable the club to focus more TV money on players in the future.
Everything in life has a cost. Clubs like Victory and City can spend the money they have to keep their best players and target success, AU must spend some of their playing talent to make the savings needed to develop players and target success.
Obviously its an unorthodox approach but given last season I'd say its a pretty sound model.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:21 am

The income from the broadcast deal covers the cap in full nowadays, so player wages aren't a club expense per se.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Valkanis was singlehandedly responsible for Elvis Kamsoba not getting a contract with AUFC.
Which is a very frustrating thing to know.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Valkanis was singlehandedly responsible for Elvis Kamsoba not getting a contract with AUFC.
Which is a very frustrating thing to know.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
And in African culture, once someone burns a bridge with you, you don't go back.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Well if Valkanis was the problem, guess he won't be going to Melb C. How good is Elvis? Worth a contract? What sort of player?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
ChillyPhilly

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:58 pm

It's interesting though, as Valkanis worked well with Tongyik and Kamau. Ochieng too, to a lesser extent.

Elvis was training/trialling with AUFC when Melbourne City came knocking. He went over and trialled and was offered a contract. But he knocked it back because he was told that AU were going to offer him one. Then Micky V derailed it. I would like to know exactly what happened or what exactly was said, but apparently he was racist. Apparently.

Video from 2015, his first of two years with Raiders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtjLT3Ztq-E

A goal in indoor: https://www.facebook.com/IndoorMilanFC/ ... 854192903/
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:40 am

The income from the broadcast deal covers the cap in full nowadays, so player wages aren't a club expense per se.
Yeah I think it does but I still feel the money isn't entirely staying with the players.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 am

It's interesting though, as Valkanis worked well with Tongyik and Kamau. Ochieng too, to a lesser extent.

Elvis was training/trialling with AUFC when Melbourne City came knocking. He went over and trialled and was offered a contract. But he knocked it back because he was told that AU were going to offer him one. Then Micky V derailed it. I would like to know exactly what happened or what exactly was said, but apparently he was racist. Apparently.

Video from 2015, his first of two years with Raiders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtjLT3Ztq-E

A goal in indoor: https://www.facebook.com/IndoorMilanFC/ ... 854192903/
It would be odd for him to act that way given as you say his experience with other African players.
I know Micky was known as a bit of a hot head in his early days of coaching. Amor was one person who Micky learnt from as an example that blasting kids isn't always the best method and as a result he's a far better coach now.
I doubt we'll ever hear the truth on this so speculating about it really isn't going to get us anywhere but I do hope it was just a misunderstanding coming from the disappointment of not gaining a contract.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 am

Billy Celeski?
I am Scott
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

Ive been calling for aufc to sign him since being out of favour at the jets. He is a quality mid.

However i havnt seen him play since his mv days so his standard may have dropped.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

Ive been calling for aufc to sign him since being out of favour at the jets. He is a quality mid.

However i havnt seen him play since his mv days so his standard may have dropped.
His J.League side avoided relegation by a single point and were joint second for the most goals conceded. Not really convincing.
we da best
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

His J.League side avoided relegation by a single point and were joint second for the most goals conceded. Not really convincing.
So he is playing in a league with a higher standard than the aleague, thats a good start. Im not sure how a teams ladder position directly corresponds with a sinlge players ability.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

If Salmon doesn't rate him then AU should sign him immediately! 8)
Time to Djbate!
salmonfc
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Craig Goodwin

Postby salmonfc Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

I don't rate anyone because I have the tactical nous of an orange.
we da best
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:28 am

Billy Celeski?
Yes!

I don't rate anyone because I have the tactical nous of an orange.
:lol:

Good one.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”