Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Jessesdad Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:21 pm

It was an uncomfortable experience to watch that from the stands but it has to be said that a point is a decent result considering the circumstances.

Jeggo is a massive loss and it's clear that the young lads will take a while to get to grips with their role. Mind you, Jeggo always had Cello alongside and it took him most of last season to come good. Last nigh Mauk and Mells (M&M) had each other to rely on and they just looked lost positionaly. It was a big gamble and you could tell the rest of the team weren't confident going through the centre of the park. Mind you if Mauk had been able to finish that chance we'd all have a very different perspective!! What a ball from Cello.

Kamau looked a real prospect last night and you can see him niggling and fighting for the ball too.

Loss of LaRocca is a big downer but we have cover and Elsey is better when he plays CB regularly.

Let's hope Tuesday night makes the loss of two points worthwhile.

And...what has happened to Elrich's form?

Don't mention the ref.....
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Yeah we weren't bad, we just weren't as good as we have been.

Jeggo did get a lot of criticism early. Josep put a lot of faith in him though and he improved as the season went on. I expect to see the same from Mauk and Mells.
The great thing about mauk is that he can play wide also. So if things are not quite working then cirio and mauk could switch or even just to allow him a breather.

Mauk seems like the midfielder who will look to score goals and take on defenders, mells on the otherhand seems more like carussca, always looking to set someone up with a killer ball.

If we can keep these 2 at the club and allow them to develop we will have a strong midfield without having to dip into our visa quota which imo is a HUGE luxury.

In 2 years they will only be 20 and 22, if we still have them by then it will be very interesting
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Just glad the ref, linesman and cameras missed the elbow from LaRocca on Simon. Definite red.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:42 pm

Just glad the ref, linesman and cameras missed the elbow from LaRocca on Simon. Definite red.
Yes but elrich and isiais both had nothing yellows. 2 yellows = 1 red. So we're even haha

I think that the early goal probably hurt our tactics. Our game plan and squad selection would have been based on playing a super defensive sydney but after scoring early it forced them to come at us.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah we weren't bad, we just weren't as good as we have been.

Jeggo did get a lot of criticism early. Josep put a lot of faith in him though and he improved as the season went on. I expect to see the same from Mauk and Mells.
The great thing about mauk is that he can play wide also. So if things are not quite working then cirio and mauk could switch or even just to allow him a breather.

Mauk seems like the midfielder who will look to score goals and take on defenders, mells on the otherhand seems more like carussca, always looking to set someone up with a killer ball.

If we can keep these 2 at the club and allow them to develop we will have a strong midfield without having to dip into our visa quota which imo is a HUGE luxury.

In 2 years they will only be 20 and 22, if we still have them by then it will be very interesting
Yep agree with all of this.

Mells obviously isn't as flashy as chelo and doesn't have the vision yet but the latter may come.

On flashy Chelo, how awesome was that high backheel to bruce? Just brilliant to watch.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:58 pm

So mv was terrible against a very good wsw despite putting out a strong team but they managed a point.

End of game fox sports praised mv's grit and fight despite being worse then us. I think we have been a little conditioned by the media to be extra hard on our players and this is a good example imo
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 pm

So mv was terrible against a very good wsw despite putting out a strong team but they managed a point.

End of game fox sports praised mv's grit and fight despite being worse then us. I think we have been a little conditioned by the media to be extra hard on our players and this is a good example imo
True, and I think the result would have been accepted better (considering our schedule and lineup) if we hadnt taken the lead twice and let it slip twice at home. Just think back to Gumby's 1st season when we played Melb Heart at home and mabil assisted Fabio in the 2-2 equaliser in the final minutes, we all celebrated that like we had won the league lol. Results can be harder to swallow given different circumstances is all im saying.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:29 am

Yeah thats is also true
EdDog

Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 am

True, and I think the result would have been accepted better (considering our schedule and lineup) if we hadnt taken the lead twice and let it slip twice at home. Just think back to Gumby's 1st season when we played Melb Heart at home and mabil assisted Fabio in the 2-2 equaliser in the final minutes, we all celebrated that like we had won the league lol. Results can be harder to swallow given different circumstances is all im saying.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in that game we had to play an entire half with 10 men after Elrich was sent off for an off the ball incident against Spud Aziz Behich. He "fouled" him in the penalty area so it was a red and a penalty to make it 1-1 after we took the early lead.

They then went on to score another goal (penalty again?). Think there were 3 for the game and Gecko saved 1.

Then we scored that equaliser late on and sure it was a draw but:
1. It was to come from behind draw with 10 men, and;
2. That point secured us a finals berth.

Don't think we won another game after that so was crucial to pick up the point and make finals.
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:40 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but in that game we had to play an entire half with 10 men after Elrich was sent off for an off the ball incident against Spud Aziz Behich. He "fouled" him in the penalty area so it was a red and a penalty to make it 1-1 after we took the early lead.

They then went on to score another goal (penalty again?). Think there were 3 for the game and Gecko saved 1.

Then we scored that equaliser late on and sure it was a draw but:
1. It was to come from behind draw with 10 men, and;
2. That point secured us a finals berth.

Don't think we won another game after that so was crucial to pick up the point and make finals.
That sounds about right, I was just saying that the circumstances of this game (leading twice at home) made 2-2 seem a disappointing result, whereas sometimes a draw can feel like a win. Just pointing out the different perspective considering we all seemed happy to take a point pre-game.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:52 am

That sounds about right, I was just saying that the circumstances of this game (leading twice at home) made 2-2 seem a disappointing result, whereas sometimes a draw can feel like a win. Just pointing out the different perspective considering we all seemed happy to take a point pre-game.
I am a bit the same. My heart is a little flat due to the fact we could have won this which would have taken us above much of the competition however my head is pretty pleased with the fact we have the makings of a decent midfield combination and have shown we have the depth to carry a few injuries to key personnel should it occur.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Happy with the draw. Mvfc, sfc, wsw all drew so we didnt lose any ground to them. I think the top 6 is already sorted but we wont get top 2 so its a case of trying to get a home final ( 3rd or 4th ) and an easy first round ffa cup draw. We need mvfc and sfc to drop games from here on. I think brisbane and wsw are too far ahead.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Missed our chance to go third when Newcastle today beat City in a massive upset.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

The results on the weekend worked in our favour in that the ladder didn't change too significantly, so I'm not as pissed off as I was on Friday night.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 am

Finally got to watch a replay.
All in all I'd say a draw is pretty fair. Both sides should have won it with the chances missed.

Very frustrating watching Kamau. Everytime he got the ball something would happen, but he was starved of it most of the game.
Annoying that yet another AU player is out suspended from ridiculous refereeing decision. Presumably that means 90 mins out of Elrich tonight.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”