Third place

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

How do you rate our final ladder position?

A great achievement
No votes
A good showing
52%
Average, given our squad
31%
A bit below par
17%
Diabolical
No votes

Total votes: 29
Philby Ramone
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: little red rooster

Re: Third place

Postby Philby Ramone Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:27 pm

The table does not lie. Third is fair. We were inconsistent but better than every other team on our day - except maybe Brisbane.

Not so long ago Eugene was our best player every week. Now he only has to perform miracles on the odd occasion.

The team is great to watch, exciting, but often frustrating because we don't translate our excellent play to Goals.

Third is fair, third is good. Perth cheated, so discount them. For me a question mark hangs over the player payements at Sfc and Mvfc, but as it stands they had better years than us. We outplayed them both on every occasion except that last game in Sydney when they smashed us but we won. That's football, and over the season it works itself out.

Third is good. Next year will be better.
Is it...?
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I voted for Average.

We had the chances and opportunities to win each match - home and away - and usuing this logic could and probably should have been close to wrapping up the league by February/March. Too many times we were our own worst enemy and apart from away wins at CCM and Perth, we failed to break long-standing bogey streaks, ultimately leading to our finishing position.

However, I'm a big believer in getting what we deserve and also think that third place is still a good achievement given our difficulties with training facilities, injuries to key players and more.

I just think we could and should have done a lot better - even without a necessary striker.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Gombau built the team and the style and the skills to go top. We didn't manage it because we don't have the guts and stability of MV. SFC can go get stuffed, they're still trying to buy success and get no respect as a result.

I think we underperformed and I think the reasons are ultimately a coaching issue. On the other hand, Gombau is no dill and still learning his trade. If he's willing to hang around and work on this team (and whatever his recruiting does to it), I believe he CAN achieve the results he's talked about ie, all three trophies.

Am I disappointed? Not really. Yes, I'm disappointed with some of our games and as shinAU commented once, this team breaks hearts. Overall though, I'm pretty proud of our club and how it consistently punches well above its weight. I just hope they don't do away with or weaken the salary cap because there is no way we'll ever compete financially with NSW and VIC (we're already losing out there).
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Improved on last year so that's a positive.

After our great start to the season, it has been a bit of a disappointing second half.

Still lots to play for though.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Great start to the season but that mid season slump cost us as we lost 7 of 13 games.

Winning the FFA Cup was a great achievement.
Now for the finals...

I'm looking forward to next season already.

(even if it is a long, long off season.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:11 pm

I feel like the Asian cup break killed our momentum a bit. Overall I think we did well this season but its soured by the chances we missed to go top and the games we should of won that we struggled with.
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:16 am

The amount of leads we have squandered this season is astounding.
Yeah I was talking to somebody about this the other day as it felt like every third game we were in a winning position then when onto lose or draw. I went back and counted, 6 times we were winning and lost or drew.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:24 pm

The amount of leads we have squandered this season is astounding.
Yeah I was talking to somebody about this the other day as it felt like every third game we were in a winning position then when onto lose or draw. I went back and counted, 6 times we were winning and lost or drew.
Yet how many times did we return the favour and come from behind?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I feel like the Asian cup break killed our momentum a bit. Overall I think we did well this season but its soured by the chances we missed to go top and the games we should of won that we struggled with.
completely agree - the break really did kill us. i don't know what happened during the time but we were pretty lucky with lack of injuries etc, after the break i don't think we fielded the same team week to week.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 am

I think Josep "played it safe" a bit too much this year. Lots of times he'd shuffle the deck chairs and play players out of position rather than utilising others in the squad. For example, moving Cirio central or Tarek to CB

Perhaps he didn't think they others in the squad were up to it but that last game showed that some were. Regardless we'll need to improve our depth.
flavze

Postby flavze Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:49 pm

considering the injuries and suspensions after the cup i'd give it a pass, from where we were when we won the cup and the poor form of the other top 3-4 teams after the break as well it was a bit poor.
The opportunity to win the league by 10+ points was there for one the us, MV, PG or the Nix and it hurts that we didnt take it.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat May 02, 2015 8:36 am

I think Josep "played it safe" a bit too much this year. Lots of times he'd shuffle the deck chairs and play players out of position rather than utilising others in the squad. For example, moving Cirio central or Tarek to CB

Perhaps he didn't think they others in the squad were up to it but that last game showed that some were. Regardless we'll need to improve our depth.
I agree I hope that changes next season.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri May 15, 2015 10:17 am

According to Andy Cussen AU have got the ACL qualifying spot.

Hopefully as with the last few years Australian club's get the home advantage.

Previous ACL qualifiers have been held around mid-February.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 am

SFC, MVFC AUFC in the ACL is awesome and the best three teams to actually not fall in a heap next year like we see so often.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri May 15, 2015 10:52 am

SFC, MVFC AUFC in the ACL is awesome and the best three teams to actually not fall in a heap next year like we see so often.
Yeah we should really make a go of it. AU and MV are clearly building slowly and are showing good stability.
SFC seem to all be right behind Arnie so they should be heading in a similar direction.
Luckily for AU JG already has experience in Asia with Kitchee so I would hope there won't be a steep learning curve like we witnessed with Brisbane and their niave first attempt of ACL football.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”